Cat's reaction to Advantage II - Please help

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suppose I'm in panic mode but I want to make sure that my Pumpkin will be ok.  He's not having a severe reaction as far as I can tell, but he's been scratching at the application site and I can't get him to stop.

I checked the application site this afternoon and it felt dry but I got a slight greasy residue on my hands which I washed off.  You can still see where I put it on him, almost like it's matted.

Calling the vet is out of the question because it's Sunday, so I've been thinking about trying to wash this off myself, either by taking him to the sink (he'll most likely maul me) or use a few damp washcloths.

What should I do?  Since posting earlier I googled this stuff and read horror stories about severe reactions.  I don't want this to happen to my baby.

Help!

iluvcats3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew what you should do, but just as a general comment, I try to give new treatments in the morning on weekdays just in case there is a problem so the vet office can take my call.  I hope you get some advice soon. Most life threatening reactions would be a lot more dramatic than itching, though, so it doesn't sound too serious to me, but I didn't google about this particular drug. The greasy residue is normal in spot on treatments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if I should try to wash this off of him, or would that make it worse?  There's no way I can put him in the tub or sink for a bath.....he'd go ballistic and maul me. 

Would it be ok for me to take a wash cloth and dab the application area?  He's not constantly scratching at it but I am concerned that if he keeps doing this AND licks his hind paws, he will ingest this.

I am still in panic mode.....and am beginning to wonder if I should have just used a flea comb.