Cats poop has no odor

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old cat, who had bile duct surgery last week, was recovering pretty well until this morning. He threw up and I determined it was World's Best Cat litter and he has never eaten litter before. I attribute this to being nauseous. He is on two antibiotics, Zofran, and one pain med. He's having very loose stools now. Here is my question: His diarrhea does not smell bad. In fact, since he got out of the hospital 5 days ago, his poop has no noticeable odor. (WBCL says litter will just pass through him, no toxicity. The vet says keep an eye on him. Duh.) Has anyone experienced poop that does not smell?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many raw fed cats have odorless or nearly odorless poop.

The medicines might be messing your cat's gastrointestinal tract a bit. Giving a probiotic may be helpful and firm up the poop. Don't give probiotics at the same time with the antibiotics. Give it 2 hours or so before or after. FortiFlora isn't the best probiotic to use. You can use another pet probiotic or even a Human probiotic. Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Up until this morning, he has been eating fine. Do you think a probiotic could be administered through the feeding e-tube that he has in place for medicines?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sure. Probiotics are in powder form. If it comes in a capsule, just pull the capsule apart and use the powder. Mix with some water if you will be giving it through an e-tube.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure. Probiotics are in powder form. If it comes in a capsule, just pull the capsule apart and use the powder. Mix with some water if you will be giving it through an e-tube.
Monkey has been having normal poops since I gave him the probiotic via his e-tube. There is still no odor but it is looking promising. I am now combating nausea again even though he is on an anti-nausea serum every 24 hours. He tried to eat World's Best cat litter Tuesday and threw it up. Then he had two good days, Wednesday and Thursday. But this morning he ate some cat litter again and threw it up. Two steps steps forward, one step back.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to close out this thread, Monkey's poop now stinks again. I guess I should be happy? Once the probiotics did their job, he finished his post-surgery antibiotics and I switched to a different dry food that every cat is happy with, the BM's normalized. They are now formed and he actually buries them because he recognizes what they are. Thanks for all your input.