Cats Playing Rough

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for cats to play so rough with each other they get scratches and all? Treasure has a scratch across his nose playing with Sopdet. I know it is play because they''re both grooming each other now. I just worry that they may be hurting each other. BTW: they're both feral for those who don't follow my other posts on here. Yes I know my one billionth worry over them but just curious or if there's some kind of dysfunctional thing going on with Treasure (as he's the only one always getting hurt).

Sadly Treasure is terrified of me now. I guess that’s that. 😩

Last edited:

JC fka JClark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depends on how you define "rough". IMO it's a fight when you see both engaged in quick biting combined with aggressive kicking from the back legs and growling (They don't always growl). Obviously it'll escalate fairly quickly from there in terms of force applied. Oh and ya I'm sure it hurts. Remember, just like dogs, when cats play they're "play fighting" so the degree of force is really the only difference between the two.

Mine will sometimes fight and then an hour later they're curled up napping together. YMMV

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can definitely accidentally scratch each other during play now and then. Not necessarily any kind of issue. If they are grooming each other and essentially never growling and hissing, they are definitely still friends. However, if its a regular thing (some cats seem more careful/careless than others) you might have to bite the bullet and trim nails regularly. Pretty easy for accidents with lengthy daggers -- many cats dont use the scratching post enough to control it on their own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Could he be very very hurt as a result? I know he didn't have the scratch on his nose when I fed him breakfast. I also kow that he did not get this from Harrison (the raccoon) as I watched the cam and Harrison never hurt him before. I did see him briefly with Sopdet (his buddy) and then they playfully chased each other into the bushes After Harrsion left Treasure came back with the scratch on his nose. Ate let me pet him then ran off scared. He ran scared of me like he did 2 years ago before being tamed ever since. I'm really really worried yet not getting any help from my neighbors on this as the bushes also run into their yards. Sopdet and Treasure were seen grooming each other since the above tragedy but now he won't even respond. I'm so worried and scared something horrible happened. In tears as it's too dangerous for a human to go into those bushes to look. It's 55 degrees so it's not the heat. All that work and taming him and then this happens. I'm not cut out for this I don't think. I messed up somewhere and failed to protect them. :(

They have a cat tree outside that Sopdet uses a lot. I've never seen Treasure use a cat tree to sharpen his claws like Sopdet does. Generally the two of them go the entire 9 years when they play. Fight stance, hissing gowling etc but if you come out in the middlle of above mentioned fight with food they'll stop and come eat together. I wonder if play fighting is different for feral cats since they need that skill to survive whereas a cat inside just play fights for fun and exercise.

He returned. Does this look bad? Beside the fact he's sticking his tongue out at me

119842275_937102070115467_810922906117035240_n.jpg

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he’s ok. Not getting answers from vets. 😥. So sick with worry

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t look bad to me. Like a normal Injury from a fight or a play fight and the kind of thing you often see on outdoor cats. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you start to see it get quite red or swollen but I don’t think that is going to happen.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t look bad to me. Like a normal Injury from a fight or a play fight and the kind of thing you often see on outdoor cats. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you start to see it get quite red or swollen but I don’t think that is going to happen.
Thanks. I just never saw those two playing that rough before but maybe with ferals they have to as they need that skill to stay alive. The other day they were playing taking turns chasing each other into the winter shelter that I still have which I though was cute.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thought is that it’s a different world for a cat that lives outdoors and the rules are different.

It’s rougher and tougher, out there, and cats need to be rough and tough to survive. What might be considered “too much” for an indoor cat could be “normal” for an outdoor cat. They have to deal with predators and other cats that might not be friendly. They have to be ready to defend themselves against threats that indoor cats will probably never encounter.

I think that the level of rough play you are seeing is probably appropriate for cats in such a situation. Play is how cats “practice” to develop skills they need to survive and your cats need to survive against a lot more things than other cats that live indoors do.

I would’t worry but I would still keep an eye on them, just in case.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My thought is that it’s a different world for a cat that lives outdoors and the rules are different.

It’s rougher and tougher, out there, and cats need to be rough and tough to survive. What might be considered “too much” for an indoor cat could be “normal” for an outdoor cat. They have to deal with predators and other cats that might not be friendly. They have to be ready to defend themselves against threats that indoor cats will probably never encounter.

I think that the level of rough play you are seeing is probably appropriate for cats in such a situation. Play is how cats “practice” to develop skills they need to survive and your cats need to survive against a lot more things than other cats that live indoors do.

I would’t worry but I would still keep an eye on them, just in case.
Thanks. He seems ok today except the scratch but it doesn't seem to bother him at all otherwise. I appreciate the input. :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nail injuries are fairly unlikely to be an issue as long as the eye isn't involved (ears can scar or notch though). Its bite wounds that are big trouble due to infection being likely. Cats that like each other don't give each other bite wounds though, just an accidental scratch now and then.