Cats per household in Utah

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Mark! Thanks for hosting this forum!

Very recently I found out that there is a 2 cat limit in Salt Lake City that I was not aware of. Actually, you can have 2 dogs and 2 cats. The issue is coming up in community forums for discussion and will probably some kind of changes will be occuring soon. The talk is about changing the laws so that you can have 2 dogs/2cats or 3 of either. It is also being discussed about licensing people who run feral rescues. There are some groups (like BEst Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah) that are arguing there should be no limit if your pets are altered and vaccinated. They believe that cat hoarders are going to be cat hoarders no matter what the laws. And I agree with that.

Now that I've given you a bit of background, I'll ask my question! I'm wondering if the 2 cat limit would apply if I registered as a cattery? I'm not interested in breeding but I have been known to take in sick and/or needy cats to just love and bring back to health. I know I can get registerd through the CFA. I've already checked on that. I'm just curious about the cat limit and if I could possibly get around it that way.

Tammie

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by mzjazz2u
Hi Mark! Thanks for hosting this forum!

Very recently I found out that there is a 2 cat limit in Salt Lake City that I was not aware of. Actually, you can have 2 dogs and 2 cats. The issue is coming up in community forums for discussion and will probably some kind of changes will be occuring soon. The talk is about changing the laws so that you can have 2 dogs/2cats or 3 of either. It is also being discussed about licensing people who run feral rescues. There are some groups (like BEst Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah) that are arguing there should be no limit if your pets are altered and vaccinated. They believe that cat hoarders are going to be cat hoarders no matter what the laws. And I agree with that.

Now that I've given you a bit of background, I'll ask my question! I'm wondering if the 2 cat limit would apply if I registered as a cattery? I'm not interested in breeding but I have been known to take in sick and/or needy cats to just love and bring back to health. I know I can get registerd through the CFA. I've already checked on that. I'm just curious about the cat limit and if I could possibly get around it that way.

Tammie
Getting around limit laws is traditionally difficult. Calling yourself a cattery even if registered with CFA will most likely not exempt you from regulations designed to prevent people from having too many critters. Most states do not care if you register with the CFA, AKC, or CIA! Being a registered "breeder" may even open you up to additional legal issues such as operating a business from a residence. Your best bet is to find your local council person and educate him/her on the issue and make a well reasoned request for a manageable number of cats in a residential dwelling. The "no limit" concept is not going to fly very far. Lobbying for 4-10 per residence may stand a chance of success.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because it's the city I canunderstand why they have a 2 cat/ dog limit. The few who miss treat thier animals can ruin things for everyone. Unless you have a a bunch of litter makes, why would you want more then 2 cats??? but that's just me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

why would you want more then 2 cats??? but that's just me.
Why wouldn't you want more then 2? Most of my cats were in danger of being put down or sickly. I take good care of my cats and have found out that Salt Lake doesn't do anything about it if the number of cats you have are reasonable and they are spayed/neutered and vaccinated.