Cat's Pee Doesn't Clump

JolieTexas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat, 3 years old, strictly indoors, and his pee suddenly stopped clumping about 2 months ago. I thought it was because of a new brand of litter, but no--none of the litter brands will clump! He doesn't pee more than usual, dig a lot, or anything. I'm here on this site because I'm trying to research this and wonder if it's due to a health issue.

brendalee007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat, 3 years old, strictly indoors, and his pee suddenly stopped clumping about 2 months ago. I thought it was because of a new brand of litter, but no--none of the litter brands will clump! He doesn't pee more than usual, dig a lot, or anything. I'm here on this site because I'm trying to research this and wonder if it's due to a health issue.
I’m headed to the vet next week with my male cat. Since we got him he has had mushy soupy loose poop, the non-clumping pee issue and horribly pungent pee. He has been previously diagnosed with cryptosporidium—I’m sure he had it when we adopted him but nobody told us the truth. Maybe this persistent bug could be the culprit. The mushy poop consistency has since been getting better (he’s now 14 months old and the vet thought he might grow out of this with proper food —I/D—- and 2x daily pills of Tylan. So it’s vastly improved the feces, but it’s still structurally deficient and way more offensive than I think it should be. But the pee problem persists. Maybe there is a “crystals” issue, or maybe there is some other kind of health issue going on besides the nasty parasite that he may never get rid of. I witness him drinking water—-something I almost never see with my female cat who has no issues with these things—although her poop is much drier and comes in pieces and her pee is perfectly round and scoopable every time. So I shall report back on this thread once he gets his full visit and body fluids analysis. Or if I come up with other solutions or theories.

Stormi3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m headed to the vet next week with my male cat. Since we got him he has had mushy soupy loose poop, the non-clumping pee issue and horribly pungent pee. He has been previously diagnosed with cryptosporidium—I’m sure he had it when we adopted him but nobody told us the truth. Maybe this persistent bug could be the culprit. The mushy poop consistency has since been getting better (he’s now 14 months old and the vet thought he might grow out of this with proper food —I/D—- and 2x daily pills of Tylan. So it’s vastly improved the feces, but it’s still structurally deficient and way more offensive than I think it should be. But the pee problem persists. Maybe there is a “crystals” issue, or maybe there is some other kind of health issue going on besides the nasty parasite that he may never get rid of. I witness him drinking water—-something I almost never see with my female cat who has no issues with these things—although her poop is much drier and comes in pieces and her pee is perfectly round and scoopable every time. So I shall report back on this thread once he gets his full visit and body fluids analysis. Or if I come up with other solutions or theories.
I would love an upset...I have 3 cats, one is a 22 pound blind male whose pee won't clump... concerned about a health issue like diabetes...fyi I try to control his diet, but he just decides to eat the dogs food when his bowl is empty, and the other cats act like I am starving them (they are a healthy weight)... same litter, 2 boxes (same type)... even made his extra deep thinking maybe saturation was the issue. It helps some, but one can only go do deep in a littler box... lol

brendalee007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would love an upset...I have 3 cats, one is a 22 pound blind male whose pee won't clump... concerned about a health issue like diabetes...fyi I try to control his diet, but he just decides to eat the dogs food when his bowl is empty, and the other cats act like I am starving them (they are a healthy weight)... same litter, 2 boxes (same type)... even made his extra deep thinking maybe saturation was the issue. It helps some, but one can only go do deep in a littler box... lol
Hmmmm. The drinking of more water could be a factor for this issue, now that I think about it. All urine, blood analyses came back normal. But he does have a tendency to drink from the fresh water bowl more so often than she does. So maybe that could cause the clumping issue. I hadn’t thought about that. Anyone else have a similar thing?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you all talk of the cat's pee not clumping, exactly what do you mean? It falls apart when you try to scoop it, for example? Where in the box are the cat's peeing - such as on or near a wall or corner? Feeby pees on/near the wall and mostly in a corner. While it technically 'clumps', trying to get it off the wall causes it to fall apart - as if it weren't really clumped.

No other cat that I have known or had ever peed so close to the walls/corners, so it appeared as mostly little to medium sized 'balls' which were fairly easy to scoop. Not so with Feeby. I sometimes wonder if her litter box might be a bit small for her and that is why she pees near the walls/corners.

The other thing I wonder about is if she walks through some of the litter she has peed in, which will affect the clumping. Again, could be from the size of the box, or just the occasional way she happens to exit the litter box. She has a mat to collect litter so I do find extra litter on it. I have also found it on her back paws if I catch her right out of the box.

Just another perspective...

Last edited: