Cats Outdoor...at An Apartment Complex...

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those of you who know me know how paranoid I am about letting my cats outside and that I do not approve of cats being outside without supervision or a leash; but there are those who believe it is a good thing to let their cat wander outside. I will not judge them. However, I cannot understand why anyone living in an apartment complex like I do would allow their cats to roam around outside. It just seems that an apartment complex would be far more dangerous then a neighborhood street, because there are parked cars that a cat can climb in, people are always driving by, not to mention everything else that goes on in an apartment complex. I say this because while gazing out my window I saw a cat Wonder across the parking lot and go underneath a car that was parked

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many reasons that tenants in apartments should not let their cats wander out side.

The cat usually has no way to get back to the apartment quickly unless someone opens the main door to the apartment building and then the actual apartment door.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so true. This is not about cats, but dogs. The other day i was driving home on a 3 lane highway ,and it is a busy highway where there is an accident every day on it that is how dangerous this place is. anyways as i was driving i noticed that there was a small white dog standing on the footpath in front the houses no owner in sight near this highway. I couldnt stop cause i was on the right lane, and im thinking what the hell is wrong with the owner of that dog. Why on earth would you allow your dog to be near a highway like that. I was thinking and praying that this dog i saw is a smart one and wont be silly to go near the fast cars or try to cross the road. But it pissed me off thinking some people would do that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cat usually has no way to get back to the apartment quickly unless someone opens the main door to the apartment building and then the actual apartment door.
:yeah: Unless an apartment is on the ground floor and has direct access from the outside and a cat door in that door (unlikely because apartments don't allow those things), a cat is stuck outside until the owner goes looking for it. Sure, someone could let the cat into the building, maybe even help the cat up to the floor where he / she lives, but there's no way for the cat to actually get inside the apartment because, again, no cat door.

That said, a few years ago, a resident on the first floor with an outside patio often let his cat outside as he grilled or sat at the table working on his computer. Sometimes he'd just leave the patio door open and the cat could go freely in and out until he called the cat back. The cat never went as far as the sidewalk outside the patio area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't stand when people let their dogs out close to the freeway either. Once, when I was doing work at a motel, we found this small puppy playing near the freeway (The motel was alongside it) and we held onto it while sending out messages on social media. Finally its owner found us and was so grateful, she said the dog has a tendency to dig a hole at the fence and get out through it, and she lives next to the freeway, so she always goes into a frenzy and keeps trying to fix it.

I feel like people should take extra precaution when they live in an apartment or near the freeway

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, the cat that wanders around outside, I'd try and grab it to bring it in and find its owner (It has a collar and everything) but I can't do that because of Prince and Nikita. My tiny studio apartment would make it impossible unless I put that cat in the bathroom-but with how my cats wait at the front door, I know Prince would immediately go into a frenzy most likely if I brought a cat inside.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. I have seen plenty of outdoor cats in apartments. Very busy with cars. But also many outdoor cats at apartments are actually strays. Apartment people tend to leave their cats behind when they move.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree. I have seen plenty of outdoor cats in apartments. Very busy with cars. But also many outdoor cats at apartments are actually strays. Apartment people tend to leave their cats behind when they move.
That is horrible....

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is horrible....
It is. From one complex I took two cats to the no-kill shelter. One was a newborn with its' eyes were closed. I think someone abandoned it because I don't think a mom cat would have left her on the hot summer pavement. We also acquired 2 of our 3 cats from the same complex. And there were more that I never got a chance to help.

Here's a thread on the same topic, apartment strays.
Somewhat Unadoptable Misfit Cats Available For Forever Homes...

It's a big problem. Apartments tend to charge pet rent and demand non-refundable pet fees so people just abandon them when it's time to move to a new apartment. Plus people at apartments might not be as settled so their mentality when adopting a cat isn't in the interest of the cat. Just a temporary companion.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ugh. I know that I would love a slightly larger apartment on my complex, and that the base rent is going to keep going up every year; and my complex would charge me the 200 fee and 300 deposit per pet all over again if I move to another apartment on this complex....That's $1000 more to spend if I want to move, so essentially because of Prince and Nikita, I would probably not change apartments even though this studio will eventually be overpriced on rent....But I would NEVER abandon either of them just to lesson that. Never. It's stupid, stupid that anyone would do that and stupid that apartments would even make something that would cause people to do that