Cats only answer to me??

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this isn’t anything I think is a problem, I’m just genuinely curious and you guys always have the best info and experiences!
Here’s a little background: my husband and I have two cats, Vollie, who came first and is very attached to me (as I am her) and we have Niko, the little brother who is more so attached to my husband. That being said, both cats will love on anyone who is going to pet them and will sit in any lap available, that’s just who they tend to gravitate to more. Vollie is EXTREMELY vocal, she always has been, I wake up every morning to absolute screams of discontent until I feed her and her brother (even if there is already food in their bowls). She has developed a little language with me, any time I say her name or look at her while taking she responds to me, it’s actually really cute and fun. Little brother on the other hand was always much more quiet, now as he’s become fully grown he talks more frequently but he’s almost always saying the same thing and it’s “hey look down here and pet me.” Even now that he is more vocal he is still very soft and quiet about it while Vollie is NOT.
All of this being said, my husband and I have noticed that no matter what he does, the cats do not feel the need to talk back to him as they do to me, half the time he can’t get them to even shift their gaze because they are just that content, but the moment I call them they turn to look or respond. He has tried mimicking my tone, my pitch, saying it his own way...they just don’t seem to care as much. So I’m wondering why this might be? Why do they only feel the need to talk to me? Yes I do feed them but it’s NOT uncommon for them to choose my husbands pets and love over me when he’s home, so they definitely love him lol! I think it would make more sense to me if they only communicated for needs but they just like to hold conversation. Anyone have anything on this strange cat phenomenon we’ve got going on? Attached is a picture of Vollie in her natural state of always needing to cuddle me, and I wish I could say it was important to my question but in all honestly it’s just because she’s so freaking cute! Thank you all in advance!
453E52D5-F8F0-43BE-BE16-EAE4E7D97FF3.jpeg

bluebklyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one cat now, but when her big sister was still alive, neither were particularly vocal with my former partner. I discuss things with my cats, explain what I'm doing, announce the flavor of their meals, say their names a lot--and my partner didn't. I think cats have preferences and I think they know who is more responsive, if there is more than one human in the household.

Grinchy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you talk to your cat in 'baby voice'? Cats prefer high-pitched voices.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes and no, when it’s something excited it’s more high pitched but other times I’ll just be like “hey vol” in a normal voice and she replies in almost the same tone lol, my husband has also tried the baby voice, they just don’t care as much

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Briemmartin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one cat now, but when her big sister was still alive, neither were particularly vocal with my former partner. I discuss things with my cats, explain what I'm doing, announce the flavor of their meals, say their names a lot--and my partner didn't. I think cats have preferences and I think they know who is more responsive, if there is more than one human in the household.
I think that may have something to do with it, more of the fact that I'm home with them more and talk to them more often!