Cats on Prozac?

dannie c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I am not unrealistic- glad 500 dollars is a lot for me- wish it wasn't-but it is due to many things hitting at once-

here they charge $70 for a visit- $2-300 for lab work- and then want x -rays and other neurological tests to see if there are other issues- and then after pumping everyone for that- as if we have it-  which adds up to thousands- they will tell me what I already know- I know my cat-  I've never been off on a diagnosis before after being pumped for every cent they can get- and they use guilt and fear to do it- but never offer to let you make payments-  I've rescued many animals - always had a happy house- found homes for several - mine are with me from the second I get them until their peaceful demise-  and happy healthy and indulged - this is a situation that is really out of the blue-  if you have constructive ideas please offer them- if not- I really do not want or need anyone's judgement or criticism and assumption- you do not know the situation here or with the vets here- 

dannie c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes they are-  and when its an unknown they really pump it- 

I can get the Prozac from my doctor- 

I will find out about the dose- 

she needs to be somewhere else for two weeks until it kicks in

will see what I can work out with the vet

wish me luck

I need it

and thank you for all your helpful and kind suggestions- 

this is so hard- she is so tormented by the other cats

wish there was a kind gentle home for her where she was not scared

but she is older- even though she is great company - big company too

a real talker and lover

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
dannie c dannie c
Do you have a place in your house where you could separate her? I know it seems unkind, but even a large dog crate with a blanket over would give her some protection from the other cats.

Vet fees can be high. They run a lot of tests. Testing is often required because our cats cannot tell them "how they feel".

A follow-up visit about the same condition may not be the same charge as the evaluation appointment.

Please also contact the rescues and shelters near you. They might have a foster who could care for your cat temporarily if you need her away from the house for a bit.

dannie c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've done all that- and for years- none of it has worked-  no rescues will help due to her fear of cats

and fosters are full - I keep calling and asking and have many who are helping- the Shelter is trying to help too

the vets know the difference between behavioral and not-  from what I tell them- its a racket here- 

they just want the money and don't care

I have been living with them separated for over a year off and on- it doesn't work

they are all miserable and it escalated her fears- 

I have to try the Prozac or find her a home-  or win the lottery so I can move and have a bigger place- 

I had two huge cages in my living room for six months- alternating them- and one loose- 

then it calmed down 

then it started off and one- separated them for various amounts of time- then it just got really bad- 

believe me I have tried it all-  vets know damn well I am telling them the truth- 

I've been taken for so many rides by them and the holistic community who are just as bad and everything is a fortune- nothing worked- and each time a vet took me for all these tests- I have been right- 

I know my cats- I grew up in a medical family-  I haven't the money this time around to go on their ride- 

wish I did - 

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, you've been through a lot. You really care about your cats and you're clearly trying to do the best thing. It sounds like you've tried almost everything except prozac or buspar. Prozac is an SSRI, and specifically results in an increased level of serotonin in the body. Buspirone appears to cause a net increase in both serotonin and dopamine levels.

Elavil is a tricyclic antidepressant that also inhibits reuptake of neurotransmitters, but is much less selective than newer antidepressant medications.

Here's a different perspective -
Personally, I felt the side effects from taking prozac were minimal when compared to those from the tricyclic antidepressants. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for a long time, and I felt like prozac was a miracle drug when it was put on the market. I took prozac for seven or eight years.
I have also taken buspar. I don't recall any significant side effects from this medication.
My view of meds-- The meds are treating a chemical imbalance in the brain.

You always want to use the generic names like fluoxetine on the prescription from the vet and at the pharmacy so you don't get upcharged into the brand name drug.

I read you have 3 cats. Probably the best candidate for treatment is the one who is overreacting - Lulu, right?

I did have a timid kitty on prozac for several months about 14 years ago. She was able to build up her confidence in the house and we didn't need it after 6 months or so.

We gave her a pill at that time. I know some owners have good luck with fluoxetine compounded into a cream or gel that is rubbed on the ear. Other people use tuna or chicken-flavored liquid that you give orally with a blunt syringe.
There are many options for this medication.

Try working with the vet or the rescue to give the meds a chance of working.

I hope you are able to find something to get peace back into your home.

Last edited:

dannie c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes -Lulu is the one who loses it- it never stops-  she is another place  now but not much longer-  I have to do something- 

true the only thing is the Prozac or the Buspar-  I know the difference in how they work-definitely don't want the Buspar- well- thank you - I will know more tomorrow after i talk to the vet - there are no rescues even willing to help - just to berate and judge- 

I've been through it-  why no one suggested this before I do not know- 

why do you suppose? thanks a lot for being so helpful and encouraging 

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
dannie c dannie c
A lot of people just think the medications are "wrong" for cats.

A lot of people also don't accept mental illness and treatment as "real" physical illnesses.

I think buspar is tested first for anxiety right now, as dopamine is expected to calm anxiety in cats (and people). I don't have any personal experience with buspar in cats.

When we used prozac for Allison, she kept peeing on one throw rug. We introduced her to an older female I rescued from a coworker. Tipper could be irritable and cranky, but Allison had the problem behavior. It all worked out, and we later introduced a third cat (Kiki) to that mix. We had 3 girls for about 6 years and never had that problem again.

dannie c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my three girls- this round since 2005 my old Pebbs who was 5 when I rescued her-

then Monster came in 2007 about a year old- she has serious issues-  I just kept loving her and she calmed down- 

then Lulu - 2009- tiny- terrified from a really grisly shelter- 

she spent her first few months on my shoulder - the nook while I sang to her- using her name in everything

Monster raised her-  all was well- until around 2012 when the stuff hit the fan

Pebbs freaked when Monster was being a pain while she peed- 

then Monster flipped- Lulu was shocked and went into hysteria- Monster turned on her- Pebbs beat it for cover

I grabbed Monster and put her in the bathroom- 

got two huge dogs cages- wire ones- they were in my LR for months- 

things calmed down and for a few years they had spouts -but I would separate them for various time- not too long - 

and things went on- 

its of late its gone off the rails to the point where there would be one or two dead or mangled cats- 

separating them made it worse-  

misery abounded- 

I have to fix it-  no homes for old gals - even though I take them and she is great-

best is she gets a good home- 

barring that- I investigate the Prozac option tomorrow 

thanks again 

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Prozac from BCP is $10.00 plus shipping and it last about 2 months. My Vet feels the side effects from Prozac is less than other anti depressants . Psycho has been on it 7 years and he s playful happy just less fearful.

dannie c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What dosage is that please? and what is BCP?  Thanks so much for this information

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just adding info in the mix here. I've just ordered Fluoxetine (Prozac) from an online pharmacy using the vet's prescription. This is for the transderma ear gel. For a one month tube at 5mg a day it cost $19 plus shipping. Really soo much cheaper than what I read from a few other people! I hope it works!

dannie c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ellenature,

Thank you - which online pharmacy? There are so many - I can't tell which ones are good and which are not-

I have read here that the ear gel is not that effective- have you used it before?  How long did it need to take effect when you started? Thanks so much 

Dannie

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BCP is a veterinary pharmacy in Houston Texas that compounds all types of meds for animals. From what I understand the transdermal gel does not work very well.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~~ I have a few of my cats on Zoloft . So far one of them ( neutered ) has stopped doing PP on my window . I'm having problems dosing another of them - but I'm going to try Chicken Flavored Pill Pockets.
~[emoji]128573[/emoji]`[emoji]128138[/emoji]​

Last edited:

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Dannie,

I haven't used it yet. I will be updating, as I start, with progress. I used Wedgewood Pharmacy in NJ. Their website: wedgewoodpharmacy.com

I've heard maybe two people mention that it doesn't work that well but I did ask my vet and he has other cats/dogs on this ear application form of Prozac, so hopefully he's starting me in the right direction. I'll be updating.

Anyone with actual experience using this formula that can give advice?

dannie c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I very much appreciate all the help - I have to save my cat- so hard to know what to do when you don't have endless money to experiment- board while it takes effect- but I have to do - you are all great- thank you from my heart and the hopeful heart of my  Lulu

dannie c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all- I need it-

should know more tomorrow and will keep it updated- so anyone with experience or suggestions can chime in 

again- you are all great- 

this is twisting me like nothing ever has

I can't be a bad mom

just not right

ellenature

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dannie I understand the cost issue and I hope that you can get help very soon. Please keep updating on the progress.