Cats on Prozac?

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have a cat on Prozac? If so, why and has it accomplished what you were trying to achieve?

I recently read in my Catnip newsletter from Tufts University of Veterinarian Medecine that prozac is almost 100% effective at stopping urine marking. I am at my wits end with one of my cats and am willing to try almost anything.

Tufts offers a behavior course that runs $200 before they will tell you which medication your cat should take. I consulted with the vet about this today when I had to take Zan in for her yearly shots. I showed her the newsletter and she wrote down the phone number and called them. She said she never knew that Prozac was used for cats. They told her about the course and said they were very reluctant to give out too much information. With that being said, has anyone ever heard of this behavior course and paid for it?!!

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Does anyone here have a cat on Prozac? If so, why and has it accomplished what you were trying to achieve?

I recently read in my Catnip newsletter from Tufts University of Veterinarian Medecine that prozac is almost 100% effective at stopping urine marking. I am at my wits end with one of my cats and am willing to try almost anything.

Tufts offers a behavior course that runs $200 before they will tell you which medication your cat should take. I consulted with the vet about this today when I had to take Zan in for her yearly shots. I showed her the newsletter and she wrote down the phone number and called them. She said she never knew that Prozac was used for cats. They told her about the course and said they were very reluctant to give out too much information. With that being said, has anyone ever heard of this behavior course and paid for it?!!
My daughter's cat is on Prozac and seems to be calmer.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are thinking of using Prozac for urine marking? Or what is the situation.....Prozac can have many side effects and is a dependent drug. If you have a behavioral problem, I would recommend a behaviorist before asking your vet to give drugs they are unaware of.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some members here have cats that are on something like Prozac. Not sure if it is the same brand name. Some will be totally against its use, others swear by it as a lifesaver. Kind of the same responses you hear when you hear about people taking it

It sounds like you have a good vet who is willing to go the extra mile. I haven't heard of any cats having adverse affects. Hopefully those members will pop up soon. I think White Cat Lover was one.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

You are thinking of using Prozac for urine marking? Or what is the situation.....Prozac can have many side effects and is a dependent drug. If you have a behavioral problem, I would recommend a behaviorist before asking your vet to give drugs they are unaware of.
Yes, I am thinking of using Prozac for urine marking. As I said in my original post, I got this information from a newsletter that I subscribe to called Catnip. The newsletter is put out by Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. A reader wrote in about a problem with some of her cats urine marking. In the response, which was by one Nicholas Dodman, BVMS, who happens to be the Animal Behavior Clinic Director at this vet school, one of his suggestions was to "speak to your vet about Prozac (almost 100% effective)".

So in answer to your question again, yes, I am thinking of using Prozac for urine marking.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not worry about Prozac being a "dependant" drug. I take it every year for seasonal affective disorder. I go off it every spring, and never have to taper the dose...I can just stop it cold turkey with no ill effects. It does, however, take a while to build effective blood levels when starting treatment. It sometimes takes as long as 10 days before you start to see improvement.

I thought very seriously about using Prozac for Lola when she was suffering her UTI, and had inappropriate urination issues. She was avoiding the litterbox, but fairly soon after the UTI was cleared (it took 4 different antibiotics and 9+ weeks) she returned to using the litterbox with no problems. I discussed it with my vet, and she said that she has several cats in her practice that are on Prozac, and none have had negative side effects from it. Here's a link about psychotropic agents from the Merck Veterinary Manual: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...e%2cand%2ccats

I tried using Elavil on Maggie for her extreme fear and anxiety problems. Unfortunately, she's impossible to pill, and trying to pill her just exacerbated her fear/anxiety problems. I'd be willing to give Prozac a try on her, if she were easier to pill, as she also exhibits a lot of the symptoms of Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. It would be nice to see if Prozac would help control some of those symptoms, so she would be more comfortable. Or perhaps her fear/anxiety problems are part of the Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome.

Good luck to you and Zan. I hope you can find something that works well for both of you!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously there are several different opinions about Prozac. One may say it's not a dependent, no side effects, another the opposite. I personally had major side effects with Prozac when I tired it for 5 months. My feelings on putting a cat on this drug is they are incapable of telling you what they are feeling, if there is side effects till they are actually effecting them to the point of function and comfort. If it is an anxiety issue, something like Buspirone is better.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I tried using Elavil on Maggie for her extreme fear and anxiety problems. Unfortunately, she's impossible to pill, and trying to pill her just exacerbated her fear/anxiety problems. I'd be willing to give Prozac a try on her, if she were easier to pill, as she also exhibits a lot of the symptoms of Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. It would be nice to see if Prozac would help control some of those symptoms, so she would be more comfortable. Or perhaps her fear/anxiety problems are part of the Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome.
If Elavil (Amitrityline) doesn't work....consider trying Buspar. It is an anti-anxiety drug.....in a very literal sense it is Ophelia's lifesaver.

I am a fan of "drugging your kitty". Had I had the guts to do so sooner, Ophelia would be different, she would be capable of co-existing with other cats....instead, she is often locked away in a different room because she incessantly stalks & attacks them.

That said....you must consult your vet! Only you & your vet can decide.

I have heard great things about the usage of Prozac. I've seen the Buspar work wonders on Ophelia(she quit attacking people, for the most part). I've never seen success with Elavail/Amitrityline, even though I've seen it used on cats in dozens of cases.

If you have ruled out medical causes, and worked from the behavior aspect, drugs may be the next step. Once I started Ophelia on the Buspar, however, behavioral "training" began. I had much more success with getting her to stop attacking people when she was on the Buspar.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If Elavil (Amitrityline) doesn't work....consider trying Buspar. It is an anti-anxiety drug.....in a very literal sense it is Ophelia's lifesaver.

I am a fan of "drugging your kitty". Had I had the guts to do so sooner, Ophelia would be different, she would be capable of co-existing with other cats....instead, she is often locked away in a different room because she incessantly stalks & attacks them.

That said....you must consult your vet! Only you & your vet can decide.

I have heard great things about the usage of Prozac. I've seen the Buspar work wonders on Ophelia(she quit attacking people, for the most part). I've never seen success with Elavail/Amitrityline, even though I've seen it used on cats in dozens of cases.

If you have ruled out medical causes, and worked from the behavior aspect, drugs may be the next step. Once I started Ophelia on the Buspar, however, behavioral "training" began. I had much more success with getting her to stop attacking people when she was on the Buspar.
I completely remember Ophelia's situation and Buspar introduction! Happy to hear there was improvement in her behavior.
It is best for it to be thoroughly thought about and researched. Prescribing drugs, especially for behavioral purposes, is touch and go when it comes to animals since there is a communication barrier. You need professional advice in these situations and if it is going to be your veterinarian, they need to be very personable and beyond health care for your pets. A second opinion is best.

persianluvr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with trying to address the behavior over medication.  Seems all too many times we want to control everything.  Some if they could would have everyone around them take a pill to get their desired result.  That's why so many kids and animals are drugged today.  However, I have a Persian who came back to me after being purchased from my friend's cattery.  She is really sweet, but she has become so stressed since I got her that she is losing fur.  I'm a breeder myself and I know how to work with her, however, she is obviously having some problems that cannot be dealt with, with a "behavioralist".  That iust an expensive way to control our animal.  Watch the Animal Planet and save yourself some money.  If you put honest effort into it and get no where, then talk about meds.  (or you can PM me . I have helped many for free).

Last edited by a moderator:

andrea delhaie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, have a  Tonkanese that has a overgrooming problem and has sores and now the gave her Prozac and she hates me and im heart broken, can u help and give me some advice???Andrea

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She hates you because you're forcing the medication into her?  She hates being pilled?  What exactly is the problem?  We can't help you otherwise.

andrea delhaie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hates you because you're forcing the medication into her?  She hates being pilled?  What exactly is the problem?  We can't help you otherwise.
She is over grooming herself till there are sores and it happens every 3 months

clang54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Andrea
I certainly understand were your coming from . I had a boy tonkiese cat named Scofield and he did have excessive groomin as well as anxiety problems. . When I went to the vet they did prescribed elival and they were gonna give it in pill form but knowing cats to really like pills that they game the elival in a gel like in a syringe and told me to put it in his left ear and it would absorb quicker. The only downside is you need to get gloves cause you get it on your skin. I do have a tonkiese cat named Coco she does have some issues with trust but when I adopted her I loved her the same. For her excessive grooming I gave her whisker city calm down it has helped her alot. U can get it at Petsmart and the good thing is it comes in a liquid form you just put it in her water. My thing is that when you get medicine for cat try to get what's easiest for you and your cat .. if you have to get it in pill form.. they do have pill pockets and you can get this at petsmart too. Hope this helps.

andrea delhaie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Clang54,

thank you so much for ur advice, ill try this and see and hope it helps :))))

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have 3 of my 8 cats on Prozac, each for different reasons, and it seems to be working well for all of them.

I put Duck on Prozac for a few reasons - one, inappropriate urination. She went from peeing on bathmats and my office rug to peeing in the bathroom sink. She hasn't done that since taking Prozac. She is also my largest cat and has some issues with jealousy and aggression. She was picking on my smallest cat, who was too frightened to defend herself. If Duck saw another cat getting attention, she'd get upset and smack them. She's much less aggressive now, but still very affectionate and full of personality.

Turtle, my smallest cat, went on Prozac for fur pulling. She's my only longhair, and I would see her grab large mouthfuls of her fur and PULL, ripping it out. I found clumps of her fur all over my house, and her sides were all but bald. She is scared of Duck, won't fight back when she's attacked, but either run away or run to me. Since Prozac, she's still nervous, but the fur pulling has gone down about 95%.

Louie is also on Prozac. I think he may have some sort of separation anxiety, and he tends to get VERY pushy when he wants attention. Normally that's fine, but since I started working from home, he didn't like me being there and not giving him attention. If I shut him out of my office, he literally cried, scratched at the door and howled for 8 hours straight. If I let him in, he jumped up on the desk in front of my computer and I can't have that during video calls. I would put him on the floor and he'd jump back up again. We'd do this 10-15 times in a row. Now he's much more mellow, not nearly as needy and desperate for attention, but still extremely affectionate.

The original RX was just for Duck, 5mg twice a day. That seemed to be way to much, so I cut it down to 2.5 mg twice a day. She still seemed a bit over medicated to me, so now she just gets 2.5 once a day. That's the same dose I put Louie and Turtle on too (they're both much smaller than Duck) and it seems to work great for all of them.

According to my vet, Prozac is a great drug for cats. There are no side effects, no withdrawal symptoms if you take them off of it, and it works really well. I've had pretty good luck with it. :-)

Hope this helps!