Cats Off Their Food?

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have four cats.

This week all four of them have been a little bit off when it comes to eating. They are actually eating it eventually, they just don't have the same enthusiasm for it. Usually they come running when they hear me open the cupboard I keep their food in, and dig straight in and eat it all. Lately they've been taking a few bites, then walking away, or ignoring it completely, but then they do go back to it eventually and it is always at least mostly eaten by the next meal. I thought it was the food, so I bought a different brand, and they eat that a lot better, but theyre still not as greedy as they used to be. I also thought it might be a bad smell in the bowls that I cannot sense as I don't have a super sensitive cat nose, but I have given them a really good wash, and also tried serving them on plates too.

They seem otherwise healthy, with no behaviour changes, theyre peeing and pooing normally, and theyre drinking their water. The only changes lately have been that the kids have gone back to school, and also I have rearranged some of the furniture in the living room, but neither of those things have bothered them before.

Is it worth taking them to the vet now, or waiting a little bit to see if they go back to normal on their own?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How old are they? As cats get older, they they eat less and tapered down maybe at the time that you feed them, they are not really that hungry yet as their eating patterns have changed and therefore they just nibble some and go away.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to my world. :sigh:

Lilith and Sophie are two of the pickiest eaters on Earth. I have to keep a pretty wide variety of foods available because they run hot and cold towards EVERYTHING. They will usually run cold towards something right after I buy a case of it. I have to shelve it and then reintroduce it at a later time or use toppers. I often mix and match flavors and textures (rabbit pate with shredded chicken, etc..). This is why I have to use 3 oz cans almost exclusively. They are easy to mix and match.

Lilith is worse than her sister. If she does not like something I have served, I get yelled at and then she leaves the room in a huff like the diva she is. Her tail is held up high like a peacock does. When I replace the food, she will inspect it and decide if this meets her demands. If it does, she will eat it but still let me know that she is NOT pleased with me. If it does not meet her standards (at that second), we have a repeat of the first performance.

Sophie lets me know she is not happy by leaving the table and sulking until I get her something else.

When I first got them, they were great eaters. DD was away at school. When she came home from spring break and then went back, they had turned into the Princesses Pickypants or the Diva Sisters- whichever you prefer. Why do I bring this up? DD is THE pickiest eater on Earth. I am still convinced that she gave them lessons on picky eating 101. They both earned Master's degrees after her classes were over.

While I was being trained by them, countless cans of food went into the trash and the garbage disposal.

We run the AC almost year round so it's not a heat issue here. They are just divas.

banana queen banana queen try picking up a can or two of different foods in different flavors and textures. When you find some that they like, try doing what I do and mixing and matching. It gives a variety of flavor and texture in the same meal. Good luck :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The oldest cat is 4, and the three youngest are all 2.

I think I have found the problem. The new brand of cat food that they all seemed to like (I did try a few different kinds first) seems to be more filling. The guidelines on the box for how much to feed is less than the old cat food, so actually theyre not as hungry because I am overfeeding them. Maybe if I reduce to the recommended amount per day, they will be more interested in food.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, give it a try. As long as they are still normal, than I guess the new food made them fuller.