Cat’s Nose Has Swollen Suddenly

autu2999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister noticed earlier today that she had slightly dry/cracked gums? That’s how she described it, although I’m not actually sure if it was an accurate description - she just thought the cat was thirsty and tried to give her some water. Just now I realised her nose has swollen quite a bit, she’s not an outdoor cat and I really don’t think she bashed into something in the 1-2 hour where the change happened. Both of these seemed quite sudden, and I’m a little bit worried, any ideas?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Wish I could help, but I have no idea. Her nose definitely appears swollen. Not sure how that ties to the gum issue, but more than likely it does. Are the gums swollen and red? How is she acting otherwise? Eating/drinking/litter box use? Any recent changes in food - an allergy perhaps? (She's cute, btw).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be related to the gums. My cat had severe gum and teeth issues due to his CKD. At times he would get infections under the gum line that would cause swelling around the nose, because the infection/abscess was at the root of the tooth. If that's the case, it pretty easy to treat (antibiotics), but I would recommend you get to the vet ASAP. Abscesses are very painful.