Cats: Moving from a big home to a tiny bedroom

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats currently live in a two floor home with lots of windows. I need to move because the place i am at is not a good place for me.

I found a place that is $700 per month, very inexpensive. but it is incredibly tiny. a small bedroom with a bathroom attached. They wont have windows. only their cat trees that i will take with me.

is this cruel to have them in a small room like this? i feel so torn. the place is perfect for my needs, but i feel for my cats.

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats will adjust. Maybe you can play cat TV for them and increase the number of toys they have.
thats true. i could have the tv auto shut off after a couple of hours. =)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No windows? Is there a secondary exit in the apartment should you need to evacuate in an emergency and the main door is inaccessible? You may want to check your local building codes for what is legal and illegal. There are unscrupulous landlors and real estate people who build illegal apartments without the proper permits just to rent out for the money. They don't care if the apartment meets building codes or not.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will adjust, but personally I’d be worried that the cats won’t get any fresh air and the place won’t have any natural air circulation. I don’t think it’s healthy for cats, but also neither for you. Having said so, some people I know never open windows anyway especially when it’s colder, so maybe it’s not a big deal? It would be a deal breaker for me.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No windows? Is there a secondary exit in the apartment should you need to evacuate in an emergency and the main door is inaccessible? You may want to check your local building codes for what is legal and illegal. There are unscrupulous landlors and real estate people who build illegal apartments without the proper permits just to rent out for the money. They don't care if the apartment meets building codes or not.
Its not really an apartment. An efficiency is a room that is attached to someone's home. It has a private entrance. They have a bathroom and a mini kitchen. Some have windows. But this one doesn't.

I'll check building codes. I doubt most efficiencies are up to code tho.

Cats will adjust, but personally I’d be worried that the cats won’t get any fresh air and the place won’t have any natural air circulation. I don’t think it’s healthy for cats, but also neither for you. Having said so, some people I know never open windows anyway especially when it’s colder, so maybe it’s not a big deal? It would be a deal breaker for me.
I never really use windows so it's not a big deal to me. The room does have ac. I rarely bother opening windows. That's also a fan in the room.

The cats do love looking out the windows tho.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
One way that you would be able to make your new space bigger for your cats is to make sure that they have plenty of vertical space- cat trees, shelves, and perches will make a big difference.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

:yeah:

I never really use windows so it's not a big deal to me. ...
Even one window can save your life and the lives of your cats if a fire or emergency occurs. Any bedroom or room used for sleeping purposes is legally required to have a window as far as I know.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your entrance door go directly outside or into a common space? If it is directly outside that may count as egress.
It goes directly outside.. so it's a tiny bedroom with a door to outside.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your entrance door go directly outside or into a common space? If it is directly outside that may count as egress.
There still needs to be a secondary egress regardless What if a fire was right outside the only door to the apartment?

I'd contact the city building permit office to check if the city has any record of the permits to build the apartment. And also ask for a building inspector to do a walkthrough of the apartment before you sign any lease and fork over money. There may be things an inspector will note as concerns that you might not be aware of or notice like faulty wiring or improperly installed smoke detectors. Your safety isn't worth a cheap apartment.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know, first apartments aren’t perfect. Better with a door directly to outside than to live in a third floor walk up where in case of fire you need to jump out a window. It may not be perfect but it looks clean and healthier than where you are now.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any housing regardless of the floor it's on needs to have 2 exits. Even a basement apartment has windows or another way to get out.

:2cents:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There still needs to be a secondary egress regardless What if a fire was right outside the only door to the apartment?

I'd contact the city building permit office to check if the city has any record of the permits to build the apartment. And also ask for a building inspector to do a walkthrough of the apartment before you sign any lease and fork over money. There may be things an inspector will note as concerns that you might not be aware of or notice like faulty wiring or improperly installed smoke detectors. Your safety isn't worth a cheap apartment.
I don't think the owners would rent me the place if I call the permit office on them. Pretty sure most efficiencies are done illegally unfortunately.

I don’t know, first apartments aren’t perfect. Better with a door directly to outside than to live in a third floor walk up where in case of fire you need to jump out a window. It may not be perfect but it looks clean and healthier than where you are now.
I know, that's my mindset. I still feel bad leaving the cats im that room. One cat hates/ fears cat toys. And the chubby one will lie on her back and bat at the toy. Lol

Any housing regardless of the floor it's on needs to have 2 exits. Even a basement apartment has windows or another way to get out.

[/URL]

:2cents:
Thanks for the link. I'll keep looking around. I just can't be picky. Im broke and need my own place. Lol

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just can't be picky. Im broke and need my own place. Lol
There's a big difference between being picky and passing on a place because of safety concerns. Yes you definitely need to get out of where you are currently, but moving into a place that is unsafe or unhealthy doesn't actually do you any good because it will leave you with a whole new set of worries..

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i talked to my friend, he used to be my boss. he is someone i greatly respect. He works as a district manager for the state of florida, and used to be a health inspector. building codes may not be a part of his career, but he works closely with other departments.

He told me the efficiency has to have a window per building code in order to be habitable.

-

im not going to lie though, i am still debating taking it. my sister asked me to stick the cats box in the downstairs bathroom. its not ventilated in there so it stinks. they're stuck using a smelly box. its not that its dirty, it only started smelling once i put it in there. ive never had issues with a smelly box before. i even put an air purifier next to it and it doesnt help much.

the cats cant come upstairs so i feel like i cant relax in my own room. i have to continually get up and get my cat to go downstairs. i even tried tiring her out with a toy, she still keeps coming up over and over.

also, im worried as i have my procedure on monday. they are doing a D and C and removing some polyps. ive started having odd spotting days. that had stopped and now its happening again. even though i am taking my medication. i dont know if its stress triggering things. i dont know. im just tired.

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry that you feel you need to move. I'd keep looking. In Ontario it's illegal to sleep in a room without a window and the door doesn't count. Isn't there anything else? I'd be more uncomfortable without that basic safety precaution than going downstairs to see my cats.

Good luck with your procedure and everything else. :runningcat:

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I completely understand the high cost of living in south Florida. However, I would be concerned about that construction during a hurricane. If the efficiency apartment/room does not have a window I would be worried if it is up to code for wind speed. Sending you positive thoughts.