Cat's mouth turned black

MDavout

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding this male stray cat this past few months now. And 10 days ago, he arrived with a wound behind his left ear. I assumed he got in a fight with other Toms in the neighborhood. I have tried cleaning it with Betadine Solution, hydrogen peroxide, and zinc ointment with mixed results. Most of the time I'm inaccurate in placing them, because he's always flinching, and I'm afraid of holding him down because he's a stray and might bite.

But just now today, when I checked outside, the above of his mouth turned black (just between the mouth and nose). And he's drooling. So I'm now really worried. What could possibly be wrong with him?

I can't take him to the vet, because he's a stray and I don't know how to handle him. And I'm even afraid he might even have rabies.

Thanks for any advice.

He just wandered away again. While I was typing my first post, he was sitting with his head bowed in front of the house. But now he has wandered off again. He's been a strong eater this past 10 days, even after he got wounded. But I'm just worried now, why he is drooling, and why his mouth turned black.

IMG20210324164728.jpg
IMG20210324164728.jpg

IMG20210324164611.jpg

That's him. I got a closer look at him. And I'm suspecting now that the black around his mouth is mud and dirt. As his front legs are dirty and muddied too. He probably got in to another rumble again. But not sure yet.

I think he had a piece of bone stuck in his mouth. When I fed him, at first it was like he was choking, then I saw this small piece of bone in the ground, and he was able to ear afterwards properly.

I just hope that would be case closed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so too, but black indicates saliva that is exposed to air and is full of bacteria. He appears rather lethargic in those photos like he doesn't feel good. Take those pictures to your vet, or e-mail them and ask for an over-the-counter liquid antibiotic. Put the required amount in a small amount of lickable treat or tuna juice so he eats it. Once a day is fine if that is all he shows up. My vet will give OTC antibiotics for my ferals. He really needs to be live-trapped and neutered so he quits getting these wounds. Then he could get his vaccinations too.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would also be slightly concerned about rabies since the cat was bitten.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Rabbies are very rare but not uri or five. Is he losing fur? Has he been tired? I agree. Send pics to the vet

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rabies are so rare as to be almost nonexistent. They stop eating and act weird too. It is not quite rabies season, that usually comes with hot weather.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You can check public health department in your area for vector for rabies but I agree that it is not common in the US in general. I don't think that this sounds like rabies at any rate, but am not encouraging you to take chances.

I have had the black mouth scare as well when, oddly enough, an unneutered feral male got into a fight....I assume a fight but something happened that caused him to end up with what looked a lot like what your cat has on his face. It did end up being mud which took me a while to assess since I could not touch him. It sounds as if something has resolved itself, for as much as it can for this kind of boy, but if you can get the antibiotics from your vet it would be a very good idea.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
That kitty doesn’t look so good. You can contact your vet and see how they would approach a visit.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat I had with black face had nasal and mouth discharge from mouth cancer. The discharge had bacteria in it that turned black from being exposed to the air. Wherever he licked it turned black. It stained his fur.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
He does look quite ill. Most likely has an infection too. Cats, even ally cats pride themselves on a clean coat. The fact he has let it get so matted and dirty means he is suffering.

Can you get a live trap and catch him? He needs a vet very soon.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! Bless you for caring for the cat. That kitty is very beautiful. I am sorry to see that he is ill. The betadine solution is good for an initial cleanse but hydrogen peroxide actually destroys healing tissue and is no longer recommended. An antibiotic ointment that contains polysporin and bacitracin zinc would help fight infection and promote healing but you could try applying coconut oil instead He probably needs internal antibiotics. If you call a veterinarian, their office might be willing to look at the pictures and sell you some medicine to try,. especially since he is a community cat. Trapping & taking him would be ideal,.if you have a rescue group in your area. I am from a rural area so I know that rescues, animal welfare agencies and modern small animal veterinary practitioners can be rare luxuries. Please continue to try to help the kitty. Goat milk and egg yolks, separately or together, can add extra nutrition that is easy on his mouth and easy to digest. Since he allowed you to wash his wounds, I think that he was someone's pet. You are a very good person to give him care and affection :rock::clap::petcat:Please keep us updated!

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe someone can loan you a trap, a friend, vet, shelter, etc. may have one to loan to you. I agree, this poor kitty does not look good. So kind and caring of you to look out for him. I hope you are able to help him with this issue, he really needs you.