Cats miss me or circadian rythms?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I'm back to work (from home) I'm noticing even more so something I was already aware of, that my cats are desperate to crawl all over me when I first get up and start working from 7-9 am. I try to be especially patient with the skittish one, but work is work, the keyboard is a big no way, and I'm often still in boxers at that time so the lap is out as well. But if I take a break later in the day and sit in the living room for a few? By then they aren't interested even if they are up and hear/see my calling them. Every day, same thing.

They sleep in the basement (furnished) which may have something to do with this.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can convince them that a chair next to you is acceptable in place of a lap? Or put some pants on and let them have your lap? My previous cats used to like morning walks around the house on my shoulder, a little cuddling, a little bug hunting at the same time. It worked for both of us and gave them the attention they wanted.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They sleep in the basement (furnished) which may have something to do with this.
I bet that has something to do with it. Instead of "cuddling" with you off and on all night, they have to do all that catching up first thing in the morning. Plus if they sleep all night, they're probably wide awake by the time you're ready to start work. Wonder if having a short play session with them, before you sit down at the computer, would help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can convince them that a chair next to you is acceptable in place of a lap? Or put some pants on and let them have your lap? My previous cats used to like morning walks around the house on my shoulder, a little cuddling, a little bug hunting at the same time. It worked for both of us and gave them the attention they wanted.
The older one use to go in some wicker baskets where we store papers and such, and still does sometimes, but he got so ginormous he doesn't really fit anymore. He has the length of a maine coon, just not the weight. I don't know where else he could go on the desk there isn't really room, an a cat that big on the lap is a little hard to forget about. The small one is skittish -- she'll only really sit behind my butt, which doesn't work for too long. So I'd really prefer somewhere other than the desk, but thats life and cats.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about a desk height scratching post, hammock or perch right next to your desk? Cats can be close to you but you have room to work.