cats meowing in a very odd way....while walking round the house????odd

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cats started doing this meow...its like a slow deep tone meow...like a cry but not....he does it while wandering round the house...it sounds depressing..

i assume he's doing this as he wants to go outside because after he's looked for every possiable exit and realise's there is no way out....he stops!!!

his normal meow is softer and this sounds like he's possessed...lol

he is not ready to go outside just yet...only had him 4 weeks...and he's a neutered 11 mth old cat...and i am his 3rd home.

but he's really annoying me now as i havn't slept through the night with his loud meowing in 4 weeks...i am shattered...i need sleep.

if only he knew i was doing this for his own good and not to be mean....

what can i do?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do this, usually just calling to them stops it. I know what you mean about sounding sad though.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jack does it, but he does it when he carries a toy in his mouth

Give him some wet food at night and a full stomach might make him sleep.

He might need some attention and lots of scritches as well?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Jack does it, but he does it when he carries a toy in his mouth

Give him some wet food at night and a full stomach might make him sleep.

He might need some attention and lots of scritches as well?
Our Tabby does it, too, especially when she's looking for Pinky, her pink mouse. We swear she's calling to Pinky, "Pinky, where are you? Pinky!!"
 And the whole time she plays with Pinky, which can be for as long as an hour, throwing her up and down the steps, she's constantly muttering. It sounds hilarious.

Definitely try the wet food right before you go to bed. If he continues to cry, call to him. Something like, "Hey "Cat", c'mon! Come to bed! C'mon Cat!" He may follow your voice and come to bed with you. Also, maybe an hour or so before bedtime, play with him, preferably with a wand-type toy, that he can chase around, grab, chew on, and so on. Play hard for about 15-20 minutes. Follow that up with his canned food or some kind of treat.

And when you're ready for bed, pick him up and take him with you. Start a routine with him.....cats love routines and it won't take long for him to get the idea.

Hopefully that will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys,i'll try all those things...he just has so much energy...and i think he sleeps so much when i'm at work...he's awake all night...as am i almost..

but i do play with him alot...we have a lazor light pen...which he chase's like crazy for hours....and you'd thing after running round and leaping off the furniture trying to catch it...that he would be tired..

i had him neutered 2 weeks ago..vet said this may varm him down...but he's still hyper..

getting cat flap put in this week..so think he'll be more shattered after a day jumping the walls and rolling in the grass...i hope so anyway...