Cats LOVE springs, but they keep getting stuck under fridge and couch

TacosAndPurritos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a little pole I use to fish them out from under the couch and fridge, but it gets old crawling around the kitchen floor on my hands and knees.

Any ideas to prevent springs from getting caught under there? I've considered some mesh under the fridge, since it won't restrict air flow, but I'm guessing they will tear it out.

I tried looking for larger cat springs but have come to the conclusion that they are all the same size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TacosAndPurritos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's essentially what I'm using to retrieve them. It's half a curtain rod I didn't end up needing, about half inch in diameter and several feet long. It's just that they lose a spring after about 15 minutes, so it's sort of high maintenance to keep a steady supply of them coming.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nope, got nothing! Every damn toy that my cats played with which could fit under something, that is where it ended up - making me retrieve them with some kind of pole/stick. Many times it was days before I even figured out what piece of furniture/appliance they were under. Sorry, a lot of sympathy, but no solution!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TacosAndPurritos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha oh well. It's nice seeing them overjoyed with their springs so I guess it's not such a big deal. I just had the idea that I could keep about 15 in a box and throw them out when one gets lost. Then maybe it would just be one fishing trip a day to retrieve all 15 once they lost them all.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think losing them is at least half the fun; what good is "prey" that doesn't hide?

What about using an under-fridge screen plus providing some kind of hiding place for the springs that's shallower, though not too shallow, so the cats could retrieve the springs themselves? It might remove the incentive to rip out the screen.

Margret

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most of Delilah's wind up in the closets. I just go through once a week.

I was in one store that was clearing out for $3 per bag so i took what they had. If I ever move out of this apartment there will be over a hundred springs coming out of the woodworks.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use a yardstick. Since I sew, I made a fleece cover for it so I can dust under the fridge while I retrieve cat springs. Or you can just buy more springs since they are cheap.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use a yardstick. Since I sew, I made a fleece cover for it so I can dust under the fridge while I retrieve cat springs. Or you can just buy more springs since they are cheap.
That's what I do. I keep a small supply of springs in an end table drawer. Mingo must think the stove is a hockey puck goal. I pulled out at least 20 one time. Once I get that yardstick out, he watches me closely.

Once while using the yardstick under the couch, a dessicated mouse came out. It was gross.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I do. I keep a small supply of springs in an end table drawer. Mingo must think the stove is a hockey puck goal. I pulled out at least 20 one time. Once I get that yardstick out, he watches me closely.

Once while using the yardstick under the couch, a dessicated mouse came out. It was gross.
My mom’s house has mice which the cat takes care of so I have alot of experience with dead mice in all stages of decay. They have a distinctive smell though so sometimes I can find them by sniffing around.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are commercial products available. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWSBW32/?tag=thecatsite

And this person has a DIY idea, although wrapping the screen around the entire appliance seems complicated: The best way to prevent stuff from rolling under your appliances ever again
The person with the DIY idea has a good point about ventilation needs on refrigerators, which makes those toy blockers from Amazon less than desirable for some spots. But I can think of so many places where I could use those toy blockers from Amazon, starting with the top(!) of my fridge to keep Roger's wallet and other things from falling off. (He's 6'7", i.e. 2 meters tall, so the top of the fridge is where he empties his pockets.)

Margret

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There are commercial products available. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWSBW32/?tag=thecatsite

And this person has a DIY idea, although wrapping the screen around the entire appliance seems complicated: The best way to prevent stuff from rolling under your appliances ever again
I have to admit this. When Willow was younger I actually did build blockers so that she couldn’t knock her toys under two of my hall closets. But it just made her so sad that she couldn’t knock toys in there and after a couple weeks I took them off.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The person with the DIY idea has a good point about ventilation needs on refrigerators, which makes those toy blockers from Amazon less than desirable for some spots.
They aren't exactly airtight, I'm pretty sure they'd be fine for most appliances. I think there would be at least a half-inch gap at the top once you had them set up. But, yeah I agree they'd be useful for a lot of non-standard uses!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They aren't exactly airtight, I'm pretty sure they'd be fine for most appliances. I think there would be at least a half-inch gap at the top once you had them set up. But, yeah I agree they'd be useful for a lot of non-standard uses!
Actually, after seeing them yesterday I went to Amazon to buy some, thinking I could extend them upward so that when things fall off of the end table next to my chair they don't end up under the end table. Surprise! This isn't the only size available. I ended up buying some that are already exactly the right size for my end table. (I'll get the shorter ones for the top of the refrigerator if and when Roger not only gets out of the nursing home but is actually walking again. 🤞 )

Margret

Last edited: