Cat’s left ear hanging down?

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 13 and I just noticed his ear was hanging down like that and he doesn’t like it when I touch or pet near it? he’s also shaking his head a lot. Is he ok??
B4A315FB-AD7A-480C-91EA-4D03C20F714C.jpeg
08316107-E4D3-46EC-95E5-E393A4E31A54.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: We looked at it closer and it is SWOLLEN so we are taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow!! Any advice to what it could be??

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat is 13 and I just noticed his ear was hanging down like that and he doesn’t like it when I touch or pet near it? he’s also shaking his head a lot. Is he ok??
It's likely an infection and shaking of head sounds like he's irritated by the itch or pain in the ear. Please bring him to the vet for a test.

signs-that-cat-may-be-in-pain - item #32 & #33

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, the vet is closed but we will bring him first thing tomorrow morning!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, please do keep us updated! Probably either an infection or a NASTY mite infestation. Either could cause the symptoms. And BOTH are treatable!

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hematoma, probably caused by excessive head shaking due to infection or injury. He definitely needs to see a vet.

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update!!
the vet confirmed that the swelling was caused by an infection in his left head and excessive head shaking, which was because he does have a few mites in his other ear 😣 luckily they’re going to drain the fluid from the swelling and treat him! thanks for all the well wishes!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
update!!
the vet confirmed that the swelling was caused by an infection in his left head and excessive head shaking, which was because he does have a few mites in his other ear 😣 luckily they’re going to drain the fluid from the swelling and treat him! thanks for all the well wishes!!
Glad that he's being treated.