Cats keep biting injured kitten

Chrisbomboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I had a kitten get really injured jumping from a cat tree, he broke his jaw and crushed his head but lived!! But now my other cats will gently bite and latch onto his jaw and won’t pull on it or anything but the just latch on and sit there until I swat them away. I have multiple cats and most have done or tried this behavior.I can’t find anything on this behavior and I’m curious. The kitten is separated now With monitored visits from his feline friends.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. So sorry though for the reason that brought you here. Poor little kitten. Sounds like he's a fighter, though. Sending healing vibes for a complete recovery for him. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

About the other cats bothering him, does it seem aggressive? Or could they possibly be trying to comfort him?

If more aggressive, it could be some sort of How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats from when the kitten was at the vet.

I'm glad he's separated from the other cats now. Hopefully with short, monitored visits, things will get back to normal between them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...you say that the cats are very gentle when they do this. This is a totally off-the-wall thought, but it may have merit. Are the cats purring when they do this? We know that a cat's purr enhances healing of broken bones, and may enhance soft tissue healing as well. If the cats are purring as they hold the kitten's face (and it sounds as if they are holding, not biting), it isn't impossible that they are transferring the vibrations of their purrs through their teeth to the kitten. Instinct is a wonderful thing. Touch one of your cats when they do that...if they are purring, and NOT tugging or biting, let them have at it. They may know something that we do not.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't understand how a kitten could be so seriously injured jumping from a cat tree.