Cats in the Media

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I asked Draco who suggested I start this thread in this section. I hope others will add to it as I think it's a topic that could be really fun.

Have you seen any portrayal of cats on TV or movies that you want to share? Please post about it here.

I wanted to let everyone know about an absolutely amazing documentary from Turkey called Kedi (Turkish for cat). It's about the huge population of street cats who live in Istanbul & the people who care for them. I saw the film last month in NYC & cannot recommend it more highly. It's playing in a lot of cities this weekend & the next few weekends. If you are able, please go see it in the theater to support films about cats. The website for it with info on where it's playing is here. I see that it also being shown in other theaters under the name Nine Lives: Cats in Istanbul.

I figure there could be a completely different thread for My Cat From Hell, but I'll mention it here. For people not in the US who may not know about the show, Jackson Galaxy travels to the homes of people having major problems with their cats and helps them. It's like Supernanny, but for cats. I use the Supernanny comparison because just like that show, in most cases I have seen, the issues are mostly due to what the humans (parents) are doing wrong causing the cats (children) to behave that way. I think the show has been on Animal Planet for seven seasons. I've only seen about five or six episodes, but have 31 waiting for me on my DVR. Galaxy has a rocker look with tattoos & unusual facial hair. He also carries a guitar case around, but it's full of his cat toys.

Finally, I wanted to ask if people notice when they see cats in movies if they are distracted by the cat's actions. Since getting a cat, I noticed in the film 20th Century Women that there was a cat who was supposedly sitting on the bed with Annette Bening in a calm scene, but the cat's tail was swishing back and forth like crazy. I thought to myself, that cat is not happy to be there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I believe someone on TCS recommended this book to me & I want to thank them and recommend it to others. The name of the book is The Inner Life of Cats by Thomas McNamee. I'm only partway through, but so far it's a great combination of a narrative of a single cat and well researched book about cats in general. The subtitle is The Science and Secrets of our Mysterious Feline Companions. It was published earlier this year & I was able to get it from my local library.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well I love Jackson Galaxy and I watched all the seasons relentlessly even repeats. But then I always have loved any animal programmes. I also like to watch (I'm going to swear here) It's me or the dog. Which is a similar show where Victoria Stillman ( I think) goes in to homes where dogs are basically uncontrolled and instills some training. I can't say I really pick up on cats in other media other than - there's a cat. I may do now it's been highlighted though!

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I am happy to announce the independent cinema I volunteer for is showing Cat Video Fest 2019 Sunday April 7 2pm on the Upper West Side in NYC. Proceeds will go to The Pet Project NYC, which rescues, fosters & adopts out cats from shelters and other dangerous situations.
The film is about 75 minutes long & consists of the very best cat videos that exist out there. If anyone is in the NYC area, I encourage you to come see the movie. Please go to www.newplazacinema.com to purchase tickets in the coming week. Tickets are not for sale yet, but will be soon.
Check www.catvideofest.com for showings in other parts of the country.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when the movie Alien was just out and in theaters, when the alien went up to the cage Jonesy was in, every one in the theater yelled "No, not Jonesy".
Other than domestic cats, my favorites are The Ghost and The Darkness, The Brothers, and of course Benji the Hunted. (love those cubs)
Although I haven't seen it yet, I heard the cat in Captain Marvel stole the screen.