Cats In Heat

Blackiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,
So 3 months ago, i found two twin female cats(queens) on the streets and i looked to myself and said why buy a cat when u can rescue 2 innocent cute cats, they were like 5 months old back then now they’re 8 months old, before anyone rages and says why didn’t you spay them , i had financial difficulties and couldn’t do that but couldn’t leave them on the streets either,

So they went in heat cycle together (obviously cz they’re twins) and i had no choice but to get them a tom cat, they mated 5-6 Times each BUT they’re still calling and i think they’re still in heat.
So my question is : what should i do? And are they still in heat or no? If not why are they still calling and mating?

PS; I know people who already reserved the new kittens for adoption so dont worry about that❤.
thanks.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Thank you for rescuing these cats. Welcome to TCS!
please note that your cats do NOT need a Tom when they’re in heat. Giving them a Tom will only add to the overpopulation of cats. If you can’t get them tied before the next time they’re in heat, please do not provide a Tom for them.
Are they indoors or outdoors? When did they mate? It usually takes about four weeks after mating to be able to truly tell if they’re pregnant, but I’m almost positive that they are pregnant. they could be howling because they’re getting near going into labor, depending on how long ago it was that they mated. Cats are pregnant for usually about 8 weeks.

I completely understand you having financial difficulties that are preventing you from fixing them, but most shelters and TNR centers provide financial assistance. Spaying and neutering is very important. Cats are usually in heat for a little less than a week, so if it’s only been a few days, then they’re probably still in heat.
you’ve come to the right place. TCS is a wonderful community full of vet experienced cat lovers :) please keep us updated

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Actually, you did have a choice NOT to let them mate. Cats go in and out of heat regularly without mating. It’s not fun for the cats or you because they call and call and it’s uncomfortable and annoying, but as you know, the remedy is spaying. Also, a heat cycle lasts about a week. So, I don’t know why they are still in heat, but you should NOT let them mate anymore, and you should try to get both spayed ASAP. If they are pregnant already, you will have bigger problems on your hands with two sets of litters. Pregnant cats and then kittens cost a lot to feed and require much care. With any luck, they are not pregnant and spaying will cure the problem.

What is your city and state and I will look for a low-cost spay clinic for you. Spaying now would be ideal.

Thank you for taking them in. Are they getting enough food? Sometimes cats cry when they are hungry. They need wet food twice a day and dry food and water 24/7. Since they are less than a year old they are still growing and need extra food.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 that the best thing you can do for your cats right now is to have them spayed as soon as possible. At 8 months old, your cats are still a long way from being fully grown, similar to 13-14 year old human girls. Although they would probably survive pregnancy (young teenage humans generally survive, too), it's not the best plan for them to have babies at this age.

Heat behavior (calling, etc.) typically lasts about a week, although it can sometimes last longer. Mating doesn't make the heat cycle shorter, it only stops future heat cycles (if the female gets pregnant).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreeing with all the others. 1. They dont always go out from heat just because they mated. Anyways, stop the mating now. You dont want to risk there are kittens conceived several days apart. (making some of the born kittens may be prematurish).

Anyway, if you find a suitable vet clinic spaying cheap or even for free, you can without any trouble spay them NOW, as soon the heat is over.

spaying in heat may be more difficult, spaying shortly after the mating, when the heat is over, is no trouble at all for a vet.

Ps. Tx for rescuing them and giving them a home!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raising kittens responsibly costs MUCH more than spaying, so I hope those financial issues have cleared up.

They do not need a tomcat when they're in heat. If you still have them together, separate him now.

How old is the tom? How long has it been since they mated? Usually they do stop calling after being mated but it may take a few days.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get them spayed asap. Young moms like that are very high risk to having complications or not nursing the kittens. Google low cost vet near me, or low cost spay clinic near me. Sometimes rescues offer rescue rates or local spca has low cost vetting for those who need help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get them spayed asap. Young moms like that are very high risk to having complications or not nursing the kittens. Google low cost vet near me, or low cost spay clinic near me. Sometimes rescues offer rescue rates or local spca has low cost vetting for those who need help.
Yes. Or at least, if there is a rescue group nearby, they will prob know a cheap veterinarian nearby. Or the vet they do cooperate with. (whom by the way, will be more experienced vet than many overall practioner; just because he gets this extra experience...).