Cats & ice cream

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your cats like to eat from your cone or do they prefer to the bowls ?   Do you lick the cones after your cats ?

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever I ate icecream my RB cat Snowball would always beg until I  put a spoonful or two of it on a paper plate for him. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
one of mine LOVES icecream. I usually let her lick the bowl when I am done

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been known to lick an ice cream cone after my cat did (don't tell my husband!)  And I will forget once in a while and let the cat lick my ice cream bowl, but my husband gets SO disgusted and rants about it, so I try to get a paper plate.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I don't eat after my cats. Sometimes, I give them the bowl after I am finished.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Did you ever try Cool Claws? Ice cream for cats. Our grocery store used to carry it and we'd buy it in the summertime. It came in six little bars and we'd break the bars down, so that each of the six cats (we only had six cats back then) had a nice piece. We'd put a piece of the ice cream on dishes and the cats would lick and lick and lick....it's a wonder their tongues didn't get sore. But they really liked the ice cream. Our store stopped carrying Cool Claws a few years back.

We will let the cats lick our empty bowls because we always use the sanitize cycle of our dishwasher, so we don't think it's a problem. And often, when we do have vanilla ice cream, we'll put just a dab down for each of the cats. (Tabby and Mollipop usually enjoy their ice cream on the kitchen table with us.) In fact, after Tabby got spayed, she quit eating for a few days. I was frantic and finally, in desperation, I put a dab of ice cream on a plate for her. She walked over on the table, sat down, and started eating that. That's how we got her to start eating again. It wasn't much and whatever works.

Rick and I wondered......do cats get an ice cream headache??

When my sister's dog was alive, she would feed the dog and then eat from the same spoon. Then feed the dog again and eat from the spoon. That rather turned my stomach, to be honest. Ick. I can't do that. It's just.....ick.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you ever try Cool Claws? Ice cream for cats. Our grocery store used to carry it and we'd buy it in the summertime. It came in six little bars and we'd break the bars down, so that each of the six cats (we only had six cats back then) had a nice piece. We'd put a piece of the ice cream on dishes and the cats would lick and lick and lick....it's a wonder their tongues didn't get sore. But they really liked the ice cream. Our store stopped carrying Cool Claws a few years back.

We will let the cats lick our empty bowls because we always use the sanitize cycle of our dishwasher, so we don't think it's a problem. And often, when we do have vanilla ice cream, we'll put just a dab down for each of the cats. (Tabby and Mollipop usually enjoy their ice cream on the kitchen table with us.) In fact, after Tabby got spayed, she quit eating for a few days. I was frantic and finally, in desperation, I put a dab of ice cream on a plate for her. She walked over on the table, sat down, and started eating that. That's how we got her to start eating again. It wasn't much and whatever works.

When my sister's dog was alive, she would feed the dog and then eat from the same spoon. Then feed the dog again and eat from the spoon. That rather turned my stomach, to be honest. Ick. I can't do that. It's just.....ick.
I don't even eat after other people, let alone dogs and cats. Hubby and I sometimes do, but only if we know we aren't sick. No way would I eat after anyone else. I love my cats, but it is known that cats have a lot of bacteria in their mouths. That is why cat bites can get so nasty. I think eating after cats might really be worse than eating behind dogs

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

haha--that's funny about cats getting ice cream headaches!  I let my first cat lick the bowl when I was done, she loved the stuff, but we didn't 'share' spoons or bowls.  None of the Three Amigos show much interest in ice cream.

I agree with the stomach turning--I have a friend who will let her dog lick her beer bottle and then she will drink out of it.  Ick is right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of Cool Claws. . I will try to find them.