cat's having gas and diaherra

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. I took Zebra in 2 weeks ago to the vet to have a checkup. I asked the vet about her having diaherra and he said not to worry about it but I am still worried. She has been having gas pretty often and often i find diaherra in thelitter box. I have switched from purina to whiskas but...
what do u suggest??
pamela

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest you get her off the supermarket food and onto a premium food. If you are feeding wet, I would stop that too. I wouldnt give her anything from the supermarket except the purina one. If she is intolerant to that I would try Science diet,Nutro or eukanuba. Depending on where she came from and such I would also ask the vet about deworming.

marygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what I've read, which is a lot, I would not even give Science Diet. I go to a health food store and get Innova and I also use Wellness Super5Mix and some Eukanuba. I agree to definately stay away from grocery store foods and stay away from Iams!! Many breeders as well as others have had a lot of bad results with it since they went in with another company. You want natural foods with no by-products. It costs a little more but will keep you away from the vet and your babies will be soooooooo much healthier. Always change very slowly so the change won't upset the tummy.
Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to give u all an update. I took both cats to the vet last friday. (Zebra continued to have BAD gas and diaherra while Sunni started licking her tushie ALOT and scooted around on the carpet). After the vet examined a stool sample, he discovered that they have coccidia which is a parasite and now I have to give them medience. Now, I have a question- I have done some research on coccidia but there haven't been much info regarding this. Could anyone tell me more about this and what I need to do besides giving them pills?
I would really appreciate any addition info and advice regarding this.
Pamela

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Protozoans are single celled organisms. The most common diseases caused by protozoans include Coccidia, Toxoplasmosis and Giardia.

Coccidia are protozoan parasites that live in the cells of the intestinal lining. Cats usually become infected with coccidia by encountering the
stool of other infected cats. Such stool usually contains oocysts or immature coccidia. These cysts mature and if another cat ingests these
cysts the new cat becomes infected. Symptoms of coccidia are usually diarrhea, dehydration, and vomiting. If your cat has/had coccidia you will
also want to disinfect your home with a diluted bleach solution to kill any cysts that may still be present in the environment. You can also help
stop the spread of coccidia by keeping a clean litterbox and removing any fecal material in the box promptly. Such cysts can survive in the
environment and keep re-infecting your cats for a long time to come. The most common coccidia does not affect people. However there are some rare forms of coccidia which can infect humans, but these are rare.

Hope this helps

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my fosters has it...still...after a month-long treatment. His place of quarantine is my computer room. I love him dearly, but the smell...
Luckily, the poor little guy isn't vomitting, isn't dehydrated, and is not just keeping his weight, but making gains.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay..I will disinfect my apartment asap this week. I am not sure how to solve the problem about thelitter box though. U mentioned keeping it clean and removing feces asap. I work all day so i try to remove the used litter in the morning and in the evenings. However, should I dump the whole litter box and use a fresh box of litter or what? How often should i replace the litter so that coccida won't come back. Is there something I can put on litter to disinfect it or ???

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well the basic idea is that housing needs to be such that food & water can't be contaminated with the feces. Maybe it is worth to invest in a littler maid. That way feces is removed and can't be spread. That should resolve the issue. Maybe others have better ideas. Best to you

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Turns out my little guy is coccidia free after all. Now I need to find out why the diarrhea is continuing.

When I was treating him with the Albon, I dumped the whole box twice a week and washed it. I guess it was enough after all.