Cats have ringworms 😩🤦‍♀️

Lexia1226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently, my daughter got kitten. We wanted to help the kitten, since my daughters friend mother was planing on abandon him. We took it in and book a vets appointment. But kitten gave my resident cat ringworms. I don’t know what to do. They have vets appointments, but I’m so worried. My daughter caught ringworms too. She saw her doctor today.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! how exciting to adopt a new kitten but a bummer he has ringworm. I've had a kitten with ringworm before (who infected me too) and I can only speak to my experience with it. She had another health issue and a persistent/recurring case of ringworm, which was quite unusual, but I sympathize all the same.

Fortunately, ringworm (not actually a worm, it is a fungus) is not usually harmful to otherwise healthy pets or people. I think the biggest complication would be a secondary infection resulting from scratching the lesions (the name for the ringed marks that appear on the skin). There are topical creams OTC or available by prescription (may depend on your location) that you can use on your daughter, as well as shampoos if it affects her scalp at all.

Likewise, your vet will hopefully prescribe an oral medication and may also advice a type of topical treatment via baths. There are a few different kinds available. Be very careful not to use human-prescribed OTC products or meds on the cats though because ingredients and dosages may differ significantly.

In my opinion, the worst thing about ringworm is how long it takes to go away and how it can persist in the environment. I think it can take 10-14 days to go away and you have to be a little bit patient about it but everyone should be just fine. I would recommend vaccuuming any carpet/rugs, washing all impacted beds, linens, etc. in hot water after (or even during if do-able) the outbreak period to reduce the spread/contamination.

There is additional information and advice here: How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lexia1226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advise, it helped lots. My daughter got a cream from her doctor. I bought an Antifungal shampoo for kitties. Just waiting on vets appointment.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, let us know how it goes! The vet may be able to prescribe or recommend a topical or shampoo to use for baths if you decide to go that route. best of luck!

Lexia1226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning. Went to the vet, and Cleo was given an ear medication for mild infection. After confirming ringworm infection, vet also recommended a topical ointment (Terbinafine) to treat it. Our new kitten has a vet appointment tomorrow for an evaluation, we bathe him with medicated shampoo that help with treating ringworms ( safe for kittens). While my daughter is being treated for ringworm as well,I’m taking extra precaution and disinfecting all areas in household. Including fabrics, bedding and floors. I’m hoping this will help. My poor Cleo can’t even go on my bed ( for extra precaution). This is breaking my heart, he’s such a good cat.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is great news you have treatment(s) on board for everyone. Hang in there and keep up with your cleaning regime. I know it feels overwhelming and stressful and it's extra work, but it will be over soon if you keep medicating and cleaning. sending you hope everyone gets better soon!!

Lexia1226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! Hoping everything goes well with tomorrows vet visit with new kitten. Despite the ringworms, we still don’t know kitten’s overall heath. Hoping everything goes well!. Thanks again 😊

Lexia1226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning!!! Just got back from vet!!! New kitten( Yuwi) it’s a girl. Exam show little contamination for ringworm. Vet gave us some wipes to used on her. Vet also said she seems pretty healthy. Yuwi got first sets of shots, going back for second set and follow up to check for ringworm in about 3 weeks!.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great news! I'm so glad to hear that. :) Hoping Cleo, your daughter and Yuwi are all very healthy and ringworm-less soon! and I'd love to see cat and kitten photos of them if you want to share! :happycat:

Lexia1226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Yuwi… she’s all smiles!

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohhh Yuwi is so adorable and Cleo is very cute! What lovely mittens and white around Cleo's eyes and poor munchkin with the lesions.. :( get better soon Cleo! :vibes: I'm rooting for the whole family to be ringworm free and happy and hanging out together soon! every day is one step closer.

Lexia1226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the positive message!! And wishing for our family to get better. Soon we’ll all be ringworm free and watching tv together on my bed again!! :catman:

Lexia1226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today Cleo and Yuwi had a lime sulfur dip. I’m still battling with ringworms. I’m following vet instructions plus taking extra precaution to help clear fungus. Cleo is most affected one. He’s losing looooots of fur. I’m praying he gets better. This week was his week off his oral meds. He’s going back on oral med on Saturday ( Trifungal) I think it’s call?. Im just worry for my poor Cleo. Yuwi is loosing some fur but not as much as Cleo.

Attachments

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry!! Please don't give up and keep at it - with meds, baths and cleaning and it WILL go away! Unfortunately, it takes time and persistence.

I'm trying to think of any additional tips for you... what are you cleaning with? You're probably not doing anything wrong, given the timeframe, it seems about right to me. However, are you able to obtain Rescue cleaners? The wipes are fantastic for ringworm - I believe the accelerated hydrogen peroxide is good for killing ringworm on contact- Rescue Disinfectants | Ready-To-Use Wipes & Liquids | Concentrate

Edit: and the wipes and cleaners are obviously for the surfaces/house products not the cats, but wanted to say that just to be very clear!!

Good luck!!

Lexia1226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!!! Good news!!! Cleo went to vet for follow up, and even though he’s still loosing hair, vet couldn’t detect ringworm with wood light 😊. Vet advised to keep treating him with meds and wants to see him back in 2 weeks!!!. Yuwi also had an appointment, she got her second distemper and rabies shot!!!!! Yay!!!I guess we’re gonna be fine after all. Just following vets advise on continuing with treatment, as well as keeping up with cleaning Got a good feeling we’re going to get better!! :winkcat::happycat::happycat:

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:cheerleader::cheerleader: yay!! always a good idea to follow through with treatment even if Woods' lamp is negative - I've had cats w/ positive cultures and a negative Woods lamp test. great to hear that is the plan and I hope everything continues to go well for you and your family!