Cats hackles are up all the time

Maggie R

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats hackles are up all the time! and she won't let Mr brush her, except her face. I can't pet her spine she pulls away and acts like if I do it again she'll bite me. I think it's painful for her. She has long hair, she's a Maincoon about 14 yrs old, takes steroids for asthma. Does anyone know what this might be??

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey! Awww. It does sound like something is bothering her. Keeping her fur raised is an indicator that she is aroused in some way. If she does not want to be brushed down the spine she may have some sort of discomfort or pain. Perhaps arthritis or some other thing that may need a vet check up. I don’t suppose she could have some fleas running from the brush? My older boy does raise his fur if a flea gets on him. If no fleas or if it has been going on very long then I would definitely get her checked.
I dearly love Maine Coon kitties! I hope she feels better.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree sounds like something is bothering her causing her pain. Does she also do this if you pet her or only when grooming with the brush or comb?

Personally, I'd bring her to the vet. I have 2 long hair cats, one a domestic mix, the other is a Maine Coon and if either exhibited this type of behavior let alone trying to bite me while grooming them I'd be alarmed that there was some kind of underlying health issue.