Cats getting into small garbage cans. Solutions?

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that Lolli has the run of the upstairs, he keeps getting into our stuff, especially small garbage cans and waste baskets. We've found him with bits of dental floss, Q-tips and used bandages. :doh: Yuck! And unsafe. Very worried he has been, or will be eating these objects. So far we have hidden the cans, but that isn't proving too practical for us. The one in the bathroom can be hidden under the sink, but he's recently learned how to open the door of the cabinet to get to it after he saw it open just one time. :cringe: We've already ruled out the type with the sealed lid you open with a foot pedal since he will just lift the top up (he's 18 pounds and very strong). He also knows that tipping them over also works to gain access.

So, we'd like to leave the small garbage cans out for ease of use, but also need them to be cat-proof. Has this happened to you? Have you found a solution to this?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use child safety latches on the bathroom cabinet door. Some can even be used on trash cans with lids.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely use childproof locks and latches. Make sure he is provided with enough toys he doesn't have to get in the trash. There are car deterrent sprays too you might try. Dental floss is VERY dangerous. I wouldn't put it anywhere he can access it. Cats' tongues are barbed and once floss gets on their tongues it is caught and works its way down. There it binds/ties the intestines together and they need surgery. so watch his toilet habits closely. I put mine in the kitchen trash every time.