Cat's fur too dense to get hairmats. I've tried a dozen brushes with no luck. Help?

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Socrates is back being a Little Terror and driving me insane. She put on a bit of weight over the last year. I've moved, and now she's more active. I guess the extra 'blubber' is rubbing under her armpits. I've discovered several small hairmats. They're very loosely made and should easily come out with a brush. In theory. Her fur is incredibly dense. Half the time I can't FIND the mats. When I do find them I can't get a brush that deep into her due to get it out. I've tried four combs, three different types of cat brushes, even my wig brush in an attempt to get down far enough. I've tried separating off the unmatted fur so I only have the mat. Even doing the best I can I still can't pull the hair out. She has weird fur which isn't helping. Her fur is both course and incredibly smooth. With her neck mats I have to comb them until it's brushed straight like her normal fur. Then I have to use my fingers to pull out the hair. For some reason brushes just don't get it all.

She's getting tired of me picking at her armpits, and I'm getting tired of spending money on brushes that don't work. Her fur is so thick that you can't really drag a comb through it. You can, however, stick the combo in her fur and make her wear it like a bow.... (Good luck trying to get one of those brushes through that helps cut and thin the undercoat. It gets stuck)

Any suggestions for how to get down to the actual mat and how to get it out? It's not even close to being bad enough to cut. I'm ashamed to say I'm incredibly vain about her fur and looks, so this is really annoying.

Her problem fur.
IMG_20210308_111728756.jpg

How the mats pull out and usual size. Camera wouldn't focus because Demon Kitten is demanding love.(she's six)
IMG_20210308_111911929.jpg

Not sure if you can see it, but she actually had a mat on her neck. The fur is slightly longer than the rest.
IMG_20210308_111818830.jpg

The reason she's allowed to get away with so much. Look at that smirk. She knows what she's doing.
IMG_20210228_104236163.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You really need a comb rather than a brush. Try one with smooth round teeth. There are several different styles and you may have to try several before you find the one that works for your kitty. I prefer a comb with smooth metal teeth set fairly far apart. You can get one that has wide teeth on one end and close teeth on the other. There are also ones with alternating long and short teeth, but I've never tried one so can't tell you how well it works.

Do a search for "pet comb" on amazon or chewy or one of the pet stores to see your options.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
All our cats have been long haired, some have very dense fur as you described. I've found the Stainless Steel Greyhound Comb works wonders for mats. GE SS Greyhound Combs
As GoldyCat GoldyCat mentioned you need a comb not a brush.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried a few different comb type brushes from some local stores. I haven't had much luck with them. Are there different brush lengths maybe?

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I ordered one today. Hopefully it'll work to get them out. She's building up a fantastic collection in her armpits. I wish I could thin her fur out without a professional groomer. I wouldn't wish that challenge on anyone.

We made some progress on the mats today, but not without casualties. I happened to have a cat brush she loves for her cheeks. I was able to use my long comb to work some of the larger mats towards the surface, and then my smaller comb to pull bits out. If nothing else it keeps it from getting worse for now.

We did cause a massive - and confusing - earthquake that now puts Westeros ON Essos, and bits of both appear to have floated off the world. They can't even put up defenses by going into their box. It fits, she sits.

IMG_20210310_110621342.jpg

EveAndHerThieves

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Small bit of info for anyone who might need it. I'm still waiting for the next three brushes to come in so I can try them. In the meantime I accidentally found a good way to get the mats untangled if they're not too tight. A wig brush. Yup. I was trying to untangle one of my wigs when she showed up to inform me it's petting time. She rubbed against the brush before I could set it aside, so I shrugged and went with it. It does NOT get any fur out, but it gets deep enough to untangle those tangles. It's also helping to brush out her undercoat a bit and get everything straightened.

Soooo.... If you have a beauty supply store, see if they have a cheap $3 wig brush? It may or may not help get you through until a proper brush shows up.