Cats Flying In Cargo?

wibblywobbly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im hoping that I will be able to drive the cats, but circumstances may prevent this and they may need to fly. (Without me, so would be as cargo) Not ideal, but wondering if anyone has done so recently and can suggest an airline to use? Or knows what it costs? I had to ship my cats about 10 years ago when moving and forget what it costs. The airline websites are frustratingly unhelpful. Lots of info about kennel requirements, etc but no cost info? Not sure if it's a flat fee per animal, or by weight?

I'd rather not ship them at all :( but it may be the only way. I know that I'm definitely only putting them on a direct flight. Anyone have any tips?

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never shipped an animal in cargo. The cargo hold is not temperature controlled and since planes travel at altitude it gets too cold meanwhile too hot on the tarmac.

But check with the airline. They are used to shipping animals (my dad just flew up a dog from FL to MD this last year).

Sadly I don't remember any details about pricing. That wasn't our concern we just wanted to have our animals move with us.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you decided what to do? Unless you are totally not able to financially, I would pay to have a friend/family member/etc. (preferably someone the cat already knows) fly your cat on board with them. It would be worth the cost to have peace of mind over the safety of your cat.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all the stories in the news lately about pets dying in cargo, I would only fly with them in the cabin. I think you have to buy an extra ticket for more than one cat though, so it can get expensive.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some airlines will allow you to squish two cats together in one carrier in the cabin, if your carrier is big enough. That's what I do.

You need to have one human flying per pet carrier in the cabin.

(Note: I originally wrote "Most airlines" and changed to "Some" because I don't know exactly how many airlines allow it... Southwest and Alaska allow two per carrier without restriction on age, and those are the airlines I usually fly.)

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most airlines will allow you to squish two cats together in one carrier in the cabin, if your carrier is big enough. That's what I do.

You need to have one human flying per pet carrier in the cabin.
Isn't there a weight restriction though? back in Europe it was mostly 8kg per carrier, so it's rarely an option for 2 adult cats, but perfect option for kittens.

Personally I'd avoid cargo at all costs. Apart from extreme stories, I'd heard the milder ones: my friend was travelling from East to West Coast of US and she heard her dog barking/crying loudly and miserably for the entire flight. Few months ago there was a story that cat escaped during unloading (probably the crate hit the ground very hard and it got opened) and they never found her. I'd never risk it. And the cats shouldn't be sedated during the flight (although some vets still prescribe the meds) so I'd never let my cats go through that.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The exact rules depend on the airline. Some will allow any two pets of the same species in one carrier in the cabin (Southwest, for example). I routinely fly with two adult cats in one large soft-sided carrier... it's packed like a sardine can in there, but the cats don't mind and they are with me through the entire trip. Some airlines, on the other hand, only allow one pet per carrier in cabin. Check the rules of each airline before you fly.

Cats should never be sedated during flight, whether it is in cargo or in cabin.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The exact rules depend on the airline. Some will allow any two pets of the same species in one carrier in the cabin (Southwest, for example). I routinely fly with two adult cats in one large soft-sided carrier... it's packed like a sardine can in there, but the cats don't mind and they are with me through the entire trip. Some airlines, on the other hand, only allow one pet per carrier in cabin. Check the rules of each airline before you fly.

Cats should never be sedated during flight, whether it is in cargo or in cabin.
thanks, it's good to know about this possibility with Southwest, I may need to need it. When I was travelling across the Ocean, I had to have 2 carriers, but I actually ended up packing both in one, as they felt so much better that way, they were quiet for the whole flight duration, grooming each other and sleeping cuddled through the entire flight.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When I adopted my GSD from a rescue in Missouri, I paid someone to fly out with him. I paid their airfare after they were kind enough to look around for a good deal. As was said, I am not trying to spend your money, but it was not that expensive for the peace of mind that he would not be injured or die in cargo. Once you aren't around, your pet is more or less "cargo".