Cats First Heating And First Labor

Melissarenee89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came gome yesterday and noticed she was in labor. About 6pm she gave birth to what looked to be a 43 day gestesional. Its now 430 and she gave birth to another. Thankfullu heathly full term kitten. Problem is she hasnt passed afterbirth on this kitten the unbiblical cord is still inside of get. What do i do also how do i know if there are more inside of her or not.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is ok, no visible troubles, you can just wait and see. The umbilicals comes with the next batch.

ARE you sure there is the afterbirth is still inside? its because of the umbilical cord leading inside?
I ask because they usually eat up the afterbirth, so if you havent looked at them the whole time, its very easy to miss the moment of eating. It may go surprising quickly.

BUT if you are sure the umbilical cord still leads inside. It may have been a twin...Not that common but it happens. Thinking on it, if you do have access to a vet whom is decently skilled with obstetrics, I would phone and ask.

It may also be the first half done kitten was a twin with the second... In that case its done. Still, contact your vet if you feel you need to.
I came gome yesterday and noticed she was in labor. About 6pm she gave birth to what looked to be a 43 day gestesional. Its now 430 and she gave birth to another. Thankfullu heathly full term kitten. Problem is she hasnt passed afterbirth on this kitten the unbiblical cord is still inside of get. What do i do also how do i know if there are more inside of her or not.
But in normal cases, if kittens are delivered, and you arent sure it there are more, if she is OK, no problems, you can wait and see. The pauses may be quite long. But if you notice ANY problems more than an occasional after pain - you contact your vet immediately, and are ready to rush her in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melissarenee89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ended up tying of the cord that was leading inside of her and cutting it. She was freaking out and nothing coming out. She had been that way for about 1 hr but after i cut it she gave birth to another one that was still in the sac i had to cut the sac to get it out. After the 2nd live baby came out then the afterbirth came and she ate it. I think there might be one more but not sure. She isnt developing any milk so i am heading to walmart to go buy kitten milk. Im so worried the kittens will die and after the one that wasnt fully developed yesterday i cant handle any more dying. I'm running on 1 hr of sleep but worth it to know shes ok shes my baby

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KMR in powder by PetAg is good, Walmart has it often. Raw goats milk is good too, Walmart may have frozen goats milk M Melissarenee89

Melissarenee89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will check just walked in the door ty so much

Melissarenee89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another question they are latching on to mama car and stay on one nipple each for s that mean they are getting something out of her?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
yes, usually they have their own favorite nipple each one. But if they get anything we often dont know for sure. A weak suckler may perhaps seem to suckle - its nice, after all. but dont get much.
Its why its so important to weight them till you know they are properly adding.

Experienced rescuers often see and feel, but weighting is very much helping for all less experienced.

Such a weak suckler can often be saved by the owner / caretaker, if its noticed.

A kitten having momma is often reluctant to taking bottle, so a little syringe or a dropper may be easier.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good, PetAg usually makes good products. The only one less than excellent is their premixed liquid. Its sold in small bottles and rather cheap, so it pays to have one at home, not to be defenceless in the middle of the night. but afterwards its better to get their KMR in powder. They produce also the Petlac, its OK too. BeneBac probiotic is excellent btw, also by PetAg.

I got petag milk replacer

Melissarenee89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do i know if she is producing milk or not? Only one tit got bigger the one on the right closest to her butt but all the others are flat and still like when she first got pregnant. Only one is bigger then the rest. Ive tried giving them the bottle but the wont latch I got one of my daughter meds despenser that came with her meds that shes never used and tried putting a drop in their mouths but seems like it just comes back out.

Melissarenee89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I still havent been to sleep im so worried they wont make it

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Syringe feeding isnt easy, it may take time and effort and patience to get the catch of it, both for rescuer and for kitten.

Sometimes may be tried with a little sponge of the make up type, drench it with the kmr. For some it works out better.
Its a new method, a forumite suggested it some year ago.

But by the sound of it, they need supplementing, momma isnt enough...

Sorry you are sleep deprived now...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weighing the kittens daily is the only way to make sure they are getting enough to eat. They need to gain 6-10g per day at least.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You said you cut the cord while the afterbirth was still inside. Can you confirm it came out after with the next kitten? Cutting it prematurely can cause issues of it not coming out properly. If any bit is left inside, it can cause major dangerous issues for mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nursing begins with colostrum, then the milk comes in. Suckling helps the milk come in.

If you are concerned, you can supplement in the meantime.

Syringe Feeding

Melissarenee89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Syringe feeding isnt easy, it may take time and effort and patience to get the catch of it, both for rescuer and for kitten.

Sometimes may be tried with a little sponge of the make up type, drench it with the kmr. For some it works out better.
Its a new method, a forumite suggested it some year ago.

But by the sound of it, they need supplementing, momma isnt enough...

Sorry you are sleep deprived now...
Thanks. I was finally able to get them to eat a little I tell asleep from 830 to 1030 have to work night shift tonight so ill be good and tired they are still latching on mom. I havebt see her clean them to potty yet should i wipe with warm cloth

Melissarenee89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Weighing the kittens daily is the only way to make sure they are getting enough to eat. They need to gain 6-10g per day at least.
How would i even weigh them i have a scale for me thats digital but u have to step on it for it to start.

Melissarenee89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You said you cut the cord while the afterbirth was still inside. Can you confirm it came out after with the next kitten? Cutting it prematurely can cause issues of it not coming out properly. If any bit is left inside, it can cause major dangerous issues for mom.
While baby was out but cord was in she was constanly pulling stuff out of her but after next kitten was born just mins after cutting cord the other kitten came out and afterbirth came out after that kitten. And she ate it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as though they are latching and doing well with mom. She will lick them clean and stimulate their genitals whether you see her do it or not.

Get some rest!

M Melissarenee89