Cat's excessive meowing

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a stray cat,not as a pet he just stays in our porch all day ,we feed him 2-3 times a day but not much,he meows wayyyyyyyyy toooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhhhh to the point it's actually unhealthy for him,we can't feed him much as we already have to feed 1 cat,but he would meow all day,and he would even get louder and louder which is so annoying and infuriating,that it becomes so difficult to keep calm,like you wake up get in your balcony to get fresh hair and someone is constantly meowing,you are taking a nap then someone's meowing,you are in a really bad mood and someone's meowing,i don't hate him or i am not mad at him i am mad at this situation where i can't feed him enough or train him he is 1 yo,no matter how much i would shoo him away or tell him to keep quiet he would keep meowing all the time. Please help and sorry if it's offensive to anyone

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many reasons for the meowing. How long has he been coming around? He sounds like either he is super hungry or has anxiety from being lost, abandoned or kidnapped & dumped. If he has worms, he will stay hungry most of the time. Have you tried searching for an owner? Many time a cat can be kidnapped and dumped by an annoyed/abusive spouse or an adult child who suddenly has to care for an aged parent. Clearly, the cat needs help and you can be our "eyes and ears" detective. Hang in there and I will reach out to a few others
Jcatbird Jcatbird Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 di and bob di and bob ....anyone have any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are so many reasons for the meowing. How long has he been coming around? He sounds like either he is super hungry or has anxiety from being lost, abandoned or kidnapped & dumped. If he has worms, he will stay hungry most of the time. Have you tried searching for an owner? Many time a cat can be kidnapped and dumped by an annoyed/abusive spouse or an adult child who suddenly has to care for an aged parent. Clearly, the cat needs help and you can be our "eyes and ears" detective. Hang in there and I will reach out to a few others
Jcatbird Jcatbird Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 di and bob di and bob ....anyone have any suggestions?
Well he does have worms i have been trying to find a way to feed him the pill so far nothing,i can not feed him a pill by mixing it in his food i have to hold him for that and he will defo bite me if i do that or force him as he is a stray,he has been around since he was born,i used to feed his mother,after 4 months his mother left and he stayed around us,unfortunately nobody likes to pet stray specially an adult cat around here, i have rescued and adopted a stray kitty i can't afford another. Thanks for the efforts

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he does have worms i have been trying to find a way to feed him the pill so far nothing,i can not feed him a pill by mixing it in his food i have to hold him for that and he will defo bite me if i do that or force him as he is a stray,he has been around since he was born,i used to feed his mother,after 4 months his mother left and he stayed around us,unfortunately nobody likes to pet stray specially an adult cat around here, i have rescued and adopted a stray kitty i can't afford another. Also he is a 10 pound cat. Thanks for the efforts.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of them are male,i can not really take him to the vet,he would defo bit me he would panic,vets in my region do not deal with aggressive pets
Most shelters will lend you a trap. In my city we have websites to post about cats that rescues belong to and will help. How do you know he's aggressive? If he is not treated he will be more uncomfortable which can make cats aggressive,not all are like that. My cat Coco was taken 5 weeks old then came back a year old,very timid and has not hissed or growled since I got her 5 yrs ago!

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most shelters will lend you a trap. In my city we have websites to post about cats that rescues belong to and will help. How do you know he's aggressive? If he is not treated he will be more uncomfortable which can make cats aggressive,not all are like that. My cat Coco was taken 5 weeks old then came back a year old,very timid and has not hissed or growled since I got her 5 yrs ago!
I know it can be difficult to understand but i come from a backward region,where we don't have shelters,rescuers,or even pet ER,by aggressive i mean if i trap him he will panic and get aggressive by nature he is not aggressive,if confined into a trap or held with force he will bite to free himself and vets here are not ready to deal with that,also i do not think spaying might be a good option coz he still has to live on the streets with other non-spayed cats which might not be safe for him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A spayed cat is safer than the unneutered, big toms tend to completely ignore neutered cats. But you know your region/vets best.....He is meowing so much and for so long because he is desperate and HUNGRY. Is there some cheap dry food you can leave out for him? It is better than starving. I know it is annoying but once he got full I would bet it would stop. Just try to find him the cheapest food you can and get him full, then you can maybe supplement with good food once in a while. The poor thing has found you, you have been kind enough to feed him, and now he loves and depends on you. You will be blessed for helping him, I pray you can continue.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. He is desperate and he has found you. Not all strays become aggressive but I think this cat wants your company and the comfort of having you talk to him. Have you tried just sitting in a lawn chair to keep him company a bit? If you can give him anything to eat and sit with him as he eats, it may help. He is in neuters male and probably fears other males during mating seasons. If an ums payed female is in heat, the non dominant males do fear the local dominant males. I have a male rescue here that hid for weeks during a mating frenzy among others. He would meow every time he saw me snd never stepped out of the box he was hiding in. He was totally feral but desperate for company and my protection. You cannot bring another in do maybe you could put some place outside for him to hide and rest without worry? That might work. Maybe offer a little catnip? Sometimes that calms them. Not always but it may help. As for pills, can you crush it into a poweder? That is easier to hide in something very smelly. Slightly warm all meat baby food is hard for a cat to resist. Mixing the crushed pill in a small amount of baby food meat and he might be tricked into eating it. Then give more of the baby food so he knows it is something good and will eat it in the future if you need to medicate him. The water I’m a canned tuna in water might work as well. Again, a small amount with the worm pill and then some more afterwards as a reward. Meowing is cat” talk” for “please pay attention, I really need something!” This cat trusts you and is asking for help. You are seen as a very good human. Even a simple tarp draped like a pup tent might be helpful to him right now. Food, water, shelter, safety and love are the primary needs. If you give shelter, food, water and talk to him he will feel safer. Any chance he is trying to draw your attention to something else? Cats can be rescuers too. He may know of a lost kitten or anything else around you that he knows is out of place. You might see if he leads you somewhere. I have had cats show me everything from misplaced kittens, humans that were out of place, to hurt birds! Cats are extremely smart creatures but we don’t always understand what their meows mean. Maybe you can figure it out by observing him when he meows by spending time watching his surroundings when it happens? Watching his body language can help. His tail, his ears and where he is looking when he meows can reveal clues. Please let us know what you observe beyond the meowing. Simply being company during a meal could help if he is lonely. Bravo for caring and for rescuing the one you have! If you are a kitty guardian, you are a kitty hero! :clap2::goldstar: