Cat's Ears?

sjoh197

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20180409_163607.jpg
This little kitty's ears are folded at the top. It's really hard to get a good picture, but the tips of her ears are really thick and kind of curl forward. Is this normal?

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That can often be the result of frostbite but in older cats. A kitten like this would not have survived the cold that could have done that. So it is likely from an injury like a sibling chewing on the ears or from ear mites. As to it being normal, no. The soft ear cartilage is damaged and crinkles up. It can't be reversed as far as I know. But I am not an expert.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the above. It can of course be some sort of spontan mutation, or an inbreeding result. As long as its such a minor thing, it shouldnt give no problem, if its just this.
If you want to adopt, sure, go ahead.

But as said above, its not the average no.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a precious little girl! She looks like she needs a good lap to cuddle on! I think it's a mutation, like how the scottish fold breed got started. It shouldn't affect her health wise.

2kittiesplusme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's a breed that has ears that fold forward. It's called a Scottish fold. Maybe she's got some cross breeding with a cat that is that breed. I've never seen one, so I don't know if the breed's ears are thickened or not. Just a wild idea.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww! What a sweet girl! She reminds me of my tortie who was that small just one year ago. I'm not sure about the ears; I second a vet checkup just to see if there's any infection or parasite, just to put your mind at ease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjoh197

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took this little girl home as a foster from the shelter. The shelter had a vet look at her and said that she didn't have fleas, mites, or anything like that. They gave her revolution and strongid. We are supposed to bring her back for shots next weekend. I can ask about ear mites again when we go.

If everyone thinks it could really be serious, I can take her to our vet as well. I trust them much more than the county vets.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We took this little girl home as a foster from the shelter. The shelter had a vet look at her and said that she didn't have fleas, mites, or anything like that. They gave her revolution and strongid. We are supposed to bring her back for shots next weekend. I can ask about ear mites again when we go.

If everyone thinks it could really be serious, I can take her to our vet as well. I trust them much more than the county vets.
:hellocomputer:I just wanted say thanks for checking in. Someone wiser than I should be along soon.
Do you have anymore pictures?:camera: Is she acting like her ears are bothering her? What do you call her? :cheerleader:Thanks to you for giving her love and affection:bouquet:, give her a cuddle and a tummy rub (if she allows) from me & Gypsy.:heartshape::catlove: