Cats ear infection returned

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a few months ago I posted a thread asking about persisting ear problems. After a vet trip, we found that she had yeast infection.
Recently, she has begun scratching again though, and it appears that her ear infection is back. I am going to start giving her the medicine again, but would there be a reason the infection keeps returning?
It returned briefly at the beginning of the month, but it seemed to be gone again after giving her the medicine for two days.
She is due for flea medication, but would that cause a yeast infection? I plan on buying the flea medicine this week, but it is a struggle to find flea medication that works, so brand suggestions would be helpful to.

Correction, it was the beginning of April that she went to the vet. The middle of April (about April 20th) the infection returned, and the vet said to start the medicine back and if she did not improve to being her back. She did improve, but as I said, the infection has returned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. She gets Friskies Pates. Occasionally she has the 9 Lives brand though because the stores here have been running out of Friskies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried changing to fancy feast? I'm wondering if it's a food related allergy or Purina pro plan maybe?

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll see if I can find some Fancy Feast then.
Do you think I should continue the medicine as well, or stop in order to see if just changing the food will help? If you are not sure, I should be able to call the vet Monday when they open again to ask.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd cal the vet first before restarting the medicine. The ear issue may or may not be the same yeast infection.

Is your vet open on Monday (tomorrow)? If you're in the US, Monday is a holiday so vet offices aren't open unless it is a ER vet or your vet has some weird schedule.

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had forgotten about memorial day, so no they would not be open.
I'll hold off on starting the medicine though until I can contact them.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About a month ago my cat had a bit of yeast in her ears so the vet flushed and cleaned them. She said it wasn’t enough to start her on meds. I brought her back this week to have them rechecked and she said there is still a tiny bit of yeast but also said cats typically do have “some”. Mine isn’t scratching her ears any more so we decided against treating them and just to keep an eye on it.

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her right ear is bleeding on the outside because she is scratching so much, so I am definitely going to call the vet tomorrow and see if they think I should bring her in or start the medicine back.
They did not flush her ears last time I don't think, so I may see if they will this time since the infection is not quite as built up as last time, if that is the cause.