Cats don’t recognize dog after grooming

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello. My dog got groomed yesterday and it was a pretty dramatic haircut. He’s a long hair and he almost looks shaved. I have 8 cats and yesterday when he came home, only 1 recognized him. I was reading about scent and sight so the most dramatic cat, Coby, is nowhere near my dog and at the sight of him puffs up like a balloon. Coby’s also started hiding behind the fridge. I’m assuming it’ll last a few more days but any ideas on speeding up this process? One of my other cats cannot be stressed like this for fear of relapse. I’ve tried taking my dog’s fur and putting it to Coby’s nose. Any ideas please and thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You might consider doing this with the dog and Coby;
From valanhb valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of the animals to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that animal smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet or groomer and therefore smells, or in this case looks, different to the others who didn't go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
You might consider doing this with the dog and Coby;
From valanhb valanhb
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of the animals to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that animal smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.

This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet or groomer and therefore smells, or in this case looks, different to the others who didn't go.
Thank you! I’m definitely going to try. Some cats started recognizing him but Coby is still being dramatic lol attached is the drama king.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little late responding, but you could also try rubbing Coby down and then your dog. That way Coby's scent will be on the dog.
Thank you. It seems to be getting better here. Coby is getting closer on his terms but when my dog tried to go to him, Coby got spooked and ran off. Lol I feel bad for Jacob because he has no idea what’s wrong and Coby used to rub up on him