Cats Doing Things They Shouldn't

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I went back 8 pages and was surprised to find there are no threads like this, so I thought I'd start one.

Scene: my apartment

Time: 5:30 am. Important note: I don't need to wake up til 7 and don't need to be ready to leave til 8. I close my eyes to get some more sleep and then...

*tap tap tap*

*tap..... TAP TAP*

*tap TAP TAP TAP!*

I look, and1Honeybunny is sitting on the highest perch of her cat tree and batting the metal blinds against the window.. I don't want to get up, I want to go back to sleep, so rather than go fetch her I just hiss into the next room "Honeybun! Stahhhp!"

And she stares at me with her little tapping paw poised to tap. I say it again, "STOP! Don't do it agaiin!" She remains frozen, tapping paw raised, but doesn't tap. I lay my head down and close my eyes - good, she's gotten the point.

*tap tap tap TAP TAP TAP!*

....*
naughtycat.jpg

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I went back 8 pages and was surprised to find there are no threads like this, so I thought I'd start one.

Time: 5:30 am. Important note: I don't need to wake up til 7 and don't need to be ready to leave til 8. I close my eyes to get some more sleep and then...

*tap tap tap*

*tap..... TAP TAP*

*tap TAP TAP TAP!*

I look, and1Honeybunny is sitting on the highest perch of her cat tree and batting the metal blinds against the window.. I don't want to get up, I want to go back to sleep, so rather than go fetch her I just hiss into the next room "Honeybun! Stahhhp!"

And she stares at me with her little tapping paw poised to tap. I say it again, "STOP! Don't do it agaiin!" She remains frozen, tapping paw raised, but doesn't tap. I lay my head down and close my eyes - good, she's gotten the point.

....*View attachment 407477
My youngest boy "Jackpot " loves to wash his paws in his shared drinking fountain. Yelling at him hasn't corrected the problem.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
You have my TOTAL sympathies. Last night Zorro was howling in triumph after staking out my sink mouse. I have to get ear plugs. Of course he left it for me as a present, right by the food bowl. (And of course, you have to say “GOOD boy,” while discreetly dumping it outside). I have completely switched to regular, after being a long-standing decaf person. Maybe this is how they make sure we are really noticing them, as if they were a kid, jumping into a swimming pool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My youngest boy "Jackpot " loves to wash his paws in his shared drinking fountain. Yelling at him hasn't corrected the problem.
I don't yell at her, I speak to her in a loud annoyed whisper and she knows she's doing something wrong without feeling threatened or putting her ears back. Whether she LISTENS or not is another story - its about 50-50, lol.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My youngest, Meep, strums the Venetian blinds to get attention, too.
lol...does yours bat the flaps of cardboard boxes too? you know the four flaps you pull out to open it? She'll just sit there and bat it over and over and over, & I'm like HB, what are you trying to accomplish, exactly? Apparently batting things repetitively is fascinating for cats...

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have my TOTAL sympathies. Last night Zorro was howling in triumph after staking out my sink mouse. I have to get ear plugs. Of course he left it for me as a present, right by the food bowl. (And of course, you have to say “GOOD boy,” while discreetly dumping it outside). I have completely switched to regular, after being a long-standing decaf person. Maybe this is how they make sure we are really noticing them, as if they were a kid, jumping into a swimming pool.
Ok I googled and am none the wiser: what is a sink mouse? Are we talking about a real live mouse?

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
A real live mouse indeed. I live in deep woods, so generally it’s a (brief) issue about once a month, but always only ONE mouse and always, they learn the lesson too late. Cats LOVE to hunt, and I think it satisfies a primal ‘thrill’ for Zorro. Plus he is so proud of himself. it gives him a purpose and mission, and he loved to be praised.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't yell at her, I speak to her in a loud annoyed whisper and she knows she's doing something wrong without feeling threatened or putting her ears back. Whether she LISTENS or not is another story - its about 50-50, lol.
I have never ever seen a cat do this…would love to see the video.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A real live mouse indeed. I live in deep woods, so generally it’s a (brief) issue about once a month, but always only ONE mouse and always, they learn the lesson too late. Cats LOVE to hunt, and I think it satisfies a primal ‘thrill’ for Zorro. Plus he is so proud of himself. it gives him a purpose and mission, and he loved to be praised.
awww! Yeah Honeybunny is the sweetest most unaggressive cat, In 4 years I've never heard her growl (although she'll hiss if she's extremely displeased), so I was shocked one day to wake up to her standing on my bed with a mouse in her mouth. I thought she was too sweet for that! She was just on the bed meowing at me so I think she wanted to show off her prize, lol... but me, I just didn't want her to drop it on my bed, so I'm like Honeybun! what a good girl you caught a mousie?! ok get off now, off!, and she went under the bed where I cant reach her and... ate it :rolleyes2::running:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol...does yours bat the flaps of cardboard boxes too? you know the four flaps you pull out to open it? She'll just sit there and bat it over and over and over, & I'm like HB, what are you trying to accomplish, exactly? Apparently batting things repetitively is fascinating for cats...
Mine seem to be odd for cats. They don't get obsessed with boxes or bags, except for play episodes. They don't hide much, but lay out in the middle of the floor or out on top of open furniture.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

*tap tap tap*

*tap..... TAP TAP*

*tap TAP TAP TAP!*

My younger boy "Jackpot" enjoys biting shoes, sandals a occasional plastic bag. At 2.5 yrs. I hoped he would grow out of his naughty puppy ways. but unsure if he ever will. I've had to switch Litter brands # bags to Large hard plastic jugs. I often tell visitors he's a puppy that meows.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish was around 10 weeks old when we took her in. We were in the summer house, there were guests and everyone though she was adorable when she entered slippers. Minish is a total show off thrilled by positive attention
In my country we use multiple pairs all seasons for walking around the home, for going out to the bakery, in the bathroom, for guests... Minish is a horizontal scratcher and likes to mark her spaces and people in multiple ways.
I had her give up many childhood habits like chewing hair, but I can never buy expensive slippers. I get the cheapest and toss them when they are properly shredded. Of course, minish has to mark the new slippers..

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

*tap tap tap*

*tap..... TAP TAP*

*tap TAP TAP TAP!*

:lol:you gotta be grateful for the little things like she hasnt/isnt jumping up in back of that flat scren tv "yet" and knocking stuff off

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You indeed have a handsome Van.
Thank you but he is my bridge boy he passed away 2 years ago. He wasn't pedigree he was a van inpersonater DLH with a lovely van pattern. :lol: he looked like a van acted like a van. And tried on more than one occasion to get into the bathtub with me. It was him that made me fall in love with the breed. I think possibly some van was in him. My dream is one day to get a van that's really a van. ;)