Cat's cyst popped, please help on how to prevent it from becoming worse

Great Uncle Orange

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We feed and take care of a cat that lives around our villa here. Recently we noticed that he hasn't been eating well at all, resulting in him becoming very skinny. We didn't know what caused him to eat so less until we spotted a cyst/bump on his lower back yesterday. I went looking for him today and found out that cyst/bump burst, with some liquid pouring out of it. I brought him a handful of cat food which he ate. He then walked to the water bowl we have for him without limping (he's been limping for a few days now).

He seems to be largely unbothered by the wound and seems to be a bit, happier? He circled and rubbed against my leg (a sign of affection I've been told) which hasn't happened in awhile

We'd like to ask for your guys' help however, as this is our first time taking care of a cat like this. I'd genuinely want nothing more than to see him as fat and happy as he was before, even though he isn't really "our" pet :')

(pictures attached)

Attachments

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a way you can bring him to the vet? And also, if possible, keep him inside until the wound heals?
Sounds like he had an abscess, not simply a cyst. Abscess are painful which is probably why he didn't want to eat and limped. Now that the abscess has ruptured, the pain and pressure is gone so he'll feel way better.
However, he should be brought in so the wound can be cleaned and perhaps get some antibiotics to prevent the abscess from coming back as the wound heals/closes up. If there is still infection present when the wound closes up, it will just start over again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Great Uncle Orange

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a way you can bring him to the vet? And also, if possible, keep him inside until the wound heals?
Sounds like he had an abscess, not simply a cyst. Abscess are painful which is probably why he didn't want to eat and limped. Now that the abscess has ruptured, the pain and pressure is gone so he'll feel way better.
However, he should be brought in so the wound can be cleaned and perhaps get some antibiotics to prevent the abscess from coming back as the wound heals/closes up. If there is still infection present when the wound closes up, it will just start over again.
Hello, sadly bringing him to a vet is not an option BUT, getting antibiotics is something we can do. We also can't bring him in because one of us here is super allergic to animals. But we'll definitely clean him up later when he passes by/when I find him. Should we cover the wound though, or just dab it up with some cotton balls?

Also thank you so much for informing me about what the wound actually is, and what we could do for him. Hearing that the pain and pressure is gone is a big relief for us here c':

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Bactine safe for cats? I'm thinking that if it's safe for a cat to lick it, Bactine would have more staying power than something like Neosporin, which can rub off, but that's a big "if."

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Great Uncle Orange

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, little update:

We were able to put some betadine mixed with some water on Orange's wound, he freaked out a bit, and went to pee in some spot but he's okay.

I have some questions though; should this be once everyday? And him licking that spot is okay right?

Thank you again guys, tons c:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's going to lick the spot. It actually might help with cleaning and also keeping it open. It's best for an abscess to heal from the inside out rather then scabbing over with infection still in the wound. If you can manage to do it daily that would be good.

vizibara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is Bactine safe for cats? I'm thinking that if it's safe for a cat to lick it, Bactine would have more staying power than something like Neosporin, which can rub off, but that's a big "if."

Margre
did you use bactine on the cat's cyst/absess? I have a feral with an ugly wound