Cats cold

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,

I feel silly but I wanted to ask just to make sure. So I know cats get cold and I'm wondering how cold and when do I know they're too cold? It's winter in my country and it can get to 5°c outside at this time of the year. I can't really afford to heat my house this year so I've been using a lot of blankets and my duvet to keep me warm but I'm worried about them. They don't seem to be acting any different and don't seem bothered. They sleep next to me a lot and together a lot, but that's normal for them. Is there anything I need to watch out for? If I'm cold and shivering, I just I imagine they must feel something but I'm just concerned.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing your best, personally. Been there done that, being poor sucks. Blankets are fine, covering the cracks in your home as best as possible with tape or blankets or sealent is a good idea, and also building little pillow/blanket "forts" for the cats could work too. I usually just slept with my animals come winter, under a bunch of blankets. Their body heat is pretty awesome.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With shelter from the elements (in your home) and warm fuzzy stuff to cuddle with, they might not be in a "perfect" warm temp that cats like but they will be fine. A cats natural body temp is warmer than a humans so they do tend to like the heat, but cats can survive in much colder temps when shelter is provided. If your situation does not allow you to heat your home, hot water bottles are a good option to give them (and you) a blast of warmth, it gives a good 20-30 minutes of heat that lasts even longer if snuggled in a warm blanket. Maybe a nice electric blanket for yourself would be good and they can just share in the warmth! All the extra cuddle time, snuggled in bed, they will be perfectly happy!!!! We have an electric throw blanket that we put on our bed in the winter so I can keep my heating bill down. It has an automatic shut off after 3 hours so it's safer and it does keep the bed warm for several hours after it shuts off because our body heat and blankets keep it all in. Best of all it was only 20 dollars (CDN) at Walmart.
As mentioned though, your kitties will be fine with all that you are currently providing them. Just take good care of yourself too!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a sense of a cat's body temperature by feeling their ears - best way to do it is to put your lips to the tips of their ears. It should feel luke warm, not hot or cold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've felt their ears and they're cold. Jasper is asleep on my warm laptop and buddy is curled up on the bed. They don't like going under blankets though I've tried to persuade them. I ordered an electric blanket and hopefully that will keep them warm enough

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A SnuggleSafe heat pad is great and safer than an electric blanket: SnuggleSafe Heat Pad for Pets I'm sure Amazon UK has SnuggleSafe pads, too. You still would want to wrap the pad in a blanket or towel to prevent potential burns.