Cats Cohabitating - But Not Forever

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi folks! I had a question I’ve been mulling over lately. Right now I live in a two bedroom apartment with my longtime roommate and close friend, and my cat, Jem. Recently my roommate fell in love with a cat at our local shelter, and is considering adopting him. I am familiar with all the steps around introducing cats, and my worry isn’t so much what happens if they don’t get along so much as what if they do? I worry that Jem might bond with this new cat to a degree that it would be really hard on him or the other cat to no longer live together. My roommate and I have no plans to not be living together (we will be living together minimum 3 more years) but we are also students so our PhD programs and whatever jobs we get after might take us different places. Does anyone have any reassuring words on this topic, or experience living with someone and having your cats cohabitate when you might not be living with that person/other cat(s) forever?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I tend to think that calming products, but mostly music such as MusicForCats . com, can be helpful in both challenging as well as positive situations :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can't be a any real direct help, as I have always had just one cat at a time. But, aren't you over thinking this a bit - at least from the perspective that there is no imminent separation for at least 3 years? It is good that you are looking long term; but a lot can happen in 3 years, making any plan you make today become obsolete tomorrow, so to speak.

Besides, what would you do - tell your roommate 'no'? And, it is possible that the cats might end up just tolerating each other, as opposed to being best buddies. It is possible that you both might even consider finding buddies for both of your cats before you would go your separate ways.