Cats Claws

Issygold

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive adopted two kittens the are 8 month old sisters, the were abandoned and been in foster care and cat rehousing lodge, I’ve had them 4 weeks now and they’ve just started to come out of their shell , one is fine and let’s me stroke her but the other one is not friendly at all and when I am eating she tries to claw me to get food, also if I give her a treat she tries to snap it with claws out, any ideas how I can stop this behaviour, also she will not let me go near claws come out .?!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try sitting on the floor for a number of days, and put treats on the floor away from you. Let her approach them and you at her own pace, and don't look directly at her, that can be intimidating to some cats.

Be sure you're feeding them both as much as they can eat, literally.

Also place her in a different room/area so you can eat in peace, and/or HISS at her whenever she tries to get your food. That's a language she'll understand although it may take several times of consistency on your part :)

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A good HISS is a wonderful tool in training cats. They come in this world knowing that HISSSSS means "Stop that RIGHT NOW!"

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted both my girls at 4 months old and while they were well socialized, they often "forgot" to keep their claws in. I used a firm "no" and I tell them "nice paws" which took a short while for them to grasp but they understand it well now. I also removed my attention from them for two minutes and ignored them. I save hissing for big events to retain it's impact but it works as well.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Say, "Ouch!" to let her know that it hurts when she does that.

Go by the "Three Strikes" rule: If she hurts you three times during a play/treat session, the activity stops and you go somewhere else and ignore the cat for a while.

You have to say "Ouch!" the very instant she uses her claws in a way you don't like and you have to do it the same way every time. Every time she gets her third strike, she's "out" that very second and you should never give her a fourth strike.

After a while, she will learn that using her claws makes you say, "Ouch!" and that saying "Ouch!" three times makes the fun time stop.

She should eventually get the hint and stop using her claws inappropriately.