Cats & Chicken Broth Question

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ollie never drinks from the water bowl, so I like to add a little water to his homemade meals everyday... but it isn't very much water. If I add too much, he'll reject the food all together.  So lately I began making fresh chicken broth everyday for my cat. He really, really seems to enjoy it; and drinks ounces of it everyday if it's offered.. It cleared up my concerns that he's dehydrated. To put it short, offering chicken broth to him is a really great way to make sure he's hydrated, and he enjoys it very much.

But this leads me to my question... is feeding Ollie a bit of chicken broth everyday alright for him and his health? There is absolutely no added sodium, spices or any other flavor enhancers. It's just pure chicken broth that sits on the stove for hours and hours.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken broth without extra salt or any herbs or garlic is perfectly fine! I'm glad he's enjoying it!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ahh okay! thanks for clearing this up for me, @Molly92

the Purebites idea is really neat! i never thought about that!! i'll try that out, actually! thank you (':

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats also love it when I add chicken broth to their food. (There's a Chinese-ish noodle dish that I make where you first boil the chicken... the light broth is perfect for adding to cat food!)

And that's a great idea, @LTS3, to rehydrate Pure Bites! I may have to try that, too!