Cats can get stressed

bianco maple

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just like children who feel stressed when parents leave them for many hours animals ,specially cats can feel the stress-this I found out recently when after my 3 month absense from the house( i went home to Canada) My husband was around and when he was on duty we have someone whom the cat's well aquainted with and who takes care of him) He was fine, but when my husband and self went for a 4 day vacation, we found that his apetite was less and to make a the story short , he must have licked himself a bit more and so the fur ball issue started-

The vet had to give him an enema and he passed some stools Thank God he pooped but I am so positive that it was some kind of fear he developed ,,that Oh God now both of them have gone! 

This is my observation and if it can help other its worth the time for me to post

Thanks

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like humans developing ulcers, so too can cats develop stress-induced illnesses.  Ritz has stress-induced FLUTD; the first time she had it was a result of having strange, noisy repairmen in my house for several days.  The second time, when I went away on vacation for five days.  I'm having some repair work done in my house next week, and I hope lots of Feliway and Rescue Remedy will mitigate the symptons (UTIs and constipation).

I'm debating whether to put her in a cat carrier and move her to the basement or put her in the bathroom.  Too late for antianxiety meds (and I don't like the side effects they can cause).  Anybody have any other ideas?

olivesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this would work, but maybe put on a radio to help drown out the louder unpleasant noises? 

We do this at work. If it's too quiet the dogs bark at every little noise, but if the radio is playing in the background it helps to provide a kind of "white noise".

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Day two of work being done in my house, last day thank goodness.

I've been playing soundscape ('new age') music from 4 a.m. until around 7 p.m., and it seems to have helped Ritz.

That, and lots of rescue remedy.  Feliway too.  What also helped was to close the door(s) to where the man was working; what she doesn't see, won't scare her as much.

She actually sat next to me and groomed herself (which I understand helps calms a cat) on the sofa while the handyman was painting and vacuuming in the bedroom.

olivesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she's holding out ok. I haven't ever tried Feliway or Rescue Remedy, but a co-worker highly recommended rescue remedy to me recently.

Soundscapes sound nice! I love this CD my mom has called guitar by the sea. I think its classical guitar with waves crashing in the back ground. Very soothing!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Classical guitar sounds great, perfect.  I also read that harp music is especially soothing for cats.

Ritz kind of ignored me yesterday evening but did sleep with me as usual.

ollieoxenfree

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try rescue remedy. While I didn't achieve results with my dog before he passed I would reccommend it and try it on future pets. I think my dog's anxiety was at the level where nothing could work unfortunately. But it's got over 75% success rate for a reason! (*plus it helped me relax and move on after my dog's passing.. So it helps everyone!)