Cat eating feathers, hair and other strange things.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually am going through this with my guy as well. The first thing I'd recommend is getting your little one in to the vet for a couple basic tests - fecal float for potential parasites and a "deeper" look at the stool to test for things like Giardia. In the meantime, make sure you keep the little non-food items he might potentially try to eat out of his reach.

With my guy, he has extreme separation anxiety issues and we've currently got him on a prozac regimen - so I'm not sure if his recent trend of chilling out with the hunger is from finally getting into a routine or if the prozac is finally kicking in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually am going through this with my guy as well. The first thing I'd recommend is getting your little one in to the vet for a couple basic tests - fecal float for potential parasites and a "deeper" look at the stool to test for things like Giardia. In the meantime, make sure you keep the little non-food items he might potentially try to eat out of his reach.

With my guy, he has extreme separation anxiety issues and we've currently got him on a prozac regimen - so I'm not sure if his recent trend of chilling out with the hunger is from finally getting into a routine or if the prozac is finally kicking in.
She was cleared at the vet we took her about 10 days after we got her. but I guess I could take her again. Every time I leave her alone she meows constantly until I come back to her. I have looked up separation anxiety and I believe she shows all the symptoms of it so thank you for mentioning it.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Someone mentioned separation anxiety, so I looked into it. My cat has a lot.. almost all of the symptoms. Here are some of the following: Excessive grooming, excessive vocalization, Hyper attachment to care giver, destroying/eating things, vomiting food or hairballs, eating too fast or too often, trying to escape(when I leave she will meow loudly and scratch on the door and even stick her paw under it, I thought this was normal just sad that I'm leaving behavior.), not eating or drinking while owner is away, exuberant greetings when the owner returns home. I think this explains the eating problems she has been having. So what is my next step, how can I help her? What can I do to comfort her and help her? Does this require medication or can it be resolved without it? I will appreciate any tips or information/criticism. Again I have posted a lot on here and believe this is what she is suffering from and the cause of her eating issues but.. I may be wrong. I am looking for help because I know I cannot afford going to a vet right now. If it is needed I will but right now I am looking for help on here.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone mentioned separation anxiety, so I looked into it. My cat has a lot.. almost all of the symptoms. Here are some of the following: Excessive grooming, excessive vocalization, Hyper attachment to care giver, destroying/eating things, vomiting food or hairballs, eating too fast or too often, trying to escape(when I leave she will meow loudly and scratch on the door and even stick her paw under it, I thought this was normal just sad that I'm leaving behavior.), not eating or drinking while owner is away, exuberant greetings when the owner returns home. I think this explains the eating problems she has been having. So what is my next step, how can I help her? What can I do to comfort her and help her? Does this require medication or can it be resolved without it? I will appreciate any tips or information/criticism. Again I have posted a lot on here and believe this is what she is suffering from and the cause of her eating issues but.. I may be wrong. I am looking for help because I know I cannot afford going to a vet right now. If it is needed I will but right now I am looking for help on here.
I have same problem with my cat Maggie. I took her to the vet because of throwing up,not eating,and hiding. She is very attached to me. I think she is stressed because of my cat Coco. Stress can cause uti which she has. So take her to the vet if it continues. Only eats if I'm there and meows for me. I try to play with her more,brush,clicker train. I bought a stress reliever online and the food she loves most is cooked ground meat with ezcomplete by food fur life

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
At first it was easy giving her pill. Now I will have the vet assistant do it. Or somehow protect my hand. Have the vet run a urinalysis

I put her bed next to my couch
20210306_115738.jpg

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a timer for canned food I use late at night when I'm in bed. Just make sure you are giving some of her regular portion. Not adding on more food

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If this is the same cat that you started another thread about her being attacked by the dogs, I think the answer is in that issue.
(dogs keep attacking my cat | TheCatSite). It would seem, if I understand the matter at all, that her separation anxiety has to do with what goes on when you are not around to protect her.

As I said in the other thread, give her your room as her sanctuary with all of her needs in that room, and close the door.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this is the same cat that you started another thread about her being attacked by the dogs, I think the answer is in that issue.
(dogs keep attacking my cat | TheCatSite). It would seem, if I understand the matter at all, that her separation anxiety has to do with what goes on when you are not around to protect her.

As I said in the other thread, give her your room as her sanctuary with all of her needs in that room, and close the door.
I feel bad keeping her in my room all the time. But I will if it makes her feel any safer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel bad keeping her in my room all the time. But I will if it makes her feel any safer.
Which is worse? Keeping her in your room when you can't supervise, or let the dogs drive her crazy? Neither is great, but if you give her plenty of entertainment and other calming amenities in that room, it would seem to me to be the lesser of two evils. Cat calming music (There's Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and there's also RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats), cat trees/perches to look outside if at all possible; even a ticking clock or a heart beat toy to help make her feel comfort. You start with any of these options when you are at home, so she can understand you are good with them too, and she will learn they are good for her when you are not home as well. If she finds solace in your voice record some on audio for her - if you can sing, all the better.

You can always let her venture when you are home so that you can keep her close by, and/or chase away her predators at that moment.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Which is worse? Keeping her in your room when you can't supervise, or let the dogs drive her crazy? Neither is great, but if you give her plenty of entertainment and other calming amenities in that room, it would seem to me to be the lesser of two evils. Cat calming music (There's Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and there's also RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats), cat trees/perches to look outside if at all possible; even a ticking clock or a heart beat toy to help make her feel comfort. You start with any of these options when you are at home, so she can understand you are good with them too, and she will learn they are good for her when you are not home as well. If she finds solace in your voice record some on audio for her - if you can sing, all the better.

You can always let her venture when you are home so that you can keep her close by, and/or chase away her predators at that moment.
Thank you so much. I wish they could get along but they are naturally going to chase her. My room has plently of windows and space for her to be at home. I also mentioned that I had gotten her a harness and was able to take her for a short walk, maybe we can do that more often so she still has some freedom. But seriously thank you for all the tips, maybe she will stop having so many issues... it makes me mad because the dogs are the main source and i can't do anything.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that the basis of this is fear of those little dogs. It might not even be true separation anxiety if the dogs are dealt with once and for all. She needs to know that she is safe. Right now, she probably feels that you are her protector and if she lets you out of her sight she is in serious danger....which she may well be.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats belly is very bloated looking, she look like she has gained weight or something. Is this something to be concerned about? I am not able to post pictures right now.

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
.. she is now taking forever in the litter box and acting like she is going to vomit.