Cats behavior

Lori Fair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi cat people out there, I’m new to this forum but my cat is three years old and got her from a shelter with her sister but for some reason she’s decided to start peeing on the carpet in one certain area and it’s brand new carpet and then she started going outside the kitty litter box to have a bowel movement I clean the kitty litter pan out daily I’ve tried different kinds of kitty litter I’ve tried moving the pan at and she never goes outside the house she never goes anywhere so I just don’t understand and I don’t know what to do but I want to get rid of her but I have to figure something out because we’ve got brand new carpet thank you

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been to the vet recently? First step with inappropriate toileting is to rule out any medical issues (could be anything from a UTI or crystals to her paws being painful while she uses the litter). Cats don't go outside the litterbox just because they felt like it, so I'd suggest getting her a checkup before trying anything else.

Also, when you cleaned the area where she had her accident, did you use enzymatic pet cleaner? The place won't smell to us after cleaning with a standard cleaner, but a cat will still scent residue from their urine or stool, which will make them more likely to inappropriately toilet there in future.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does she poop in the same location where she pees outside the litter box? Just wondering. However, as mentioned above, using enzymatic cleaners give you a better chance of actually removing the urine scent (as well as poop). I've included a TCS article (see link below) that discusses different things you can try to get rid of the urine smell. I have also had success with a Vetoquinol product called "The Equalizer". It doesn't require saturating the carpeting, hence less drying time. It can be found on Amazon, among other web sites.

I would also buy some puppy pee pads and cover the area she is peeing on with those to help with clean up until you get this matter resolved.

Aside from a health issue (and vet check up as recommended above) - there are some cats who all of a sudden decide they don't want to use the same litter box as another cat, and/or need a two different boxes - one to pee in and the other for poop. So, adding at least one more litter box might be worth trying to see if that helps.

If this all started fairly soon after the new carpeting was installed, it could be something about the smell from it that is bothering her, especially if that area wasn't carpeted before. It could also be from having the disruption in the house while the flooring was being replaced. Any other recent changes that might have affected her?

How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles