Cat's Behavior has Almost Done a 180

tia0524

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (Cali) has her first (and hopefully last) litter of kittens (they'll be four weeks on Wednesday) and her entire demeanor has almost completely changed. She used to be kind to everyone and every creature, but not so much anymore. She's overly affectionate towards humans, but doesn't care for our other cat. She claws and hisses at him at sight (we've kept them separated since she had the kittens, but she occasionally escapes into the living room for a few minutes). The first time they saw each other was the day after delivery, and that's when we noticed the behavior first. She had them under one of our beds, and less than 24 hours later she'd already moved them three times. She doesn't carry them by the scruff though. She carries them by the front or side of the neck or the ear. She also lays on them. We've had to pick her up off of the baby or babies while they're screaming at the top of his or her lungs. As soon as we move Cali she'll lay right back down on the baby/babies, even if we did move her to a very clear space. She also randomly claws and bites at her kittens. At first I thought they were playing or punishment, but then we realized she even does it when the babies are eating or sleeping. She also will not allow them to eat for more than five minutes. I had to pet her one time to allow her kittens to eat because she's just not interested. She's done this the entire time she's had them. So it isn't her weining them I don't think. She'll get one baby out and just leave him or her. It's never the same kitten. Two weeks ago she kept bringing me her kittens (on top of my bed) and would just leave them. She would go lay down on the other bed, and I would have to have my fiance go get her because she wouldn't come feed them and would keep putting them up there with me, no matter how many times we put them back where she had them before they were on the bed. As of right now, I'm most concerned with her laying on the babies, refusing to let them finish eating, and her randomly attacking them. Is there anything I can do?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I can't really comment on Cali's behaviour towards the kittens, but her aggression towards your male cat seems normal, as although they were friends before the kittens came, now she's in protective mama mode and might see him as a threat.

Once the kittens are weaned and and mama is spayed, you can do a re-introduction between the 2 cats, and hopefully things will revert back to how they were before.

About her behaviour with the kittens, I've never had a mama cat, so can't advise. Are the kittens growing? Do they seem healthy? Active? If so, and the fact that they are 4 weeks old, sounds like she's doing ok as a first time mom.

Here's a few TCS articles that might have some helpful info for you.
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) – Cat Articles
The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition – Cat Articles

Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own – Cat Articles
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box – Cat Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is really bothered by something, to the degree she is too distracted. Moving her kittens so many times indicates this, and worried, frightened mothers will often harm their little ones. Is there someone bothering the kittens and her overly much. She must remain calm and relaxed. I would keep the male far away and provide her with a quiet dark place to keep her kittens. Make sure the bed, ar area is plenty big enough to let her stretch out away from the kittens a little bit. You must make sure she is nursing enough, try to calm her by stroking as much as you can. Weighing the little ones daily would help to see if they are getting enough, a steady gain means they are. Mother cats often leave their little ones, laying away from them is not uncommon. As long as they are quiet, they are content and full, if they are screaming at the top of their lungs they are not. To me, it sounds like she is either distressed about something, loud noises, too many people, or the other cat, or has an infection from birthing and is not feeling well. Watch for any smell or discharge, if she stops eating bring her to a vet. Make sure she is getting plenty of food, preferably kitten food for extra nutrition, so she is calmer too, and plenty of water to drink. please keep us posted!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm is she young? most young moms arent the best moms at all. She could also be in pain, check her teats to make sure no mastitis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia0524

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any update? I hope to hear good news!
She's not attacking them anymore, but she's now playing very roughly with them, like she does with our male. She's mainly back to her old self now, but it's almost like she's refusing to let them grow up. I'm actually about to make a post about it. I have several questions.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is common once kittens begin to leave the nest. It is how the mother cat teaches manners. Break it up if it gets too rough, but usually the mother does not harm her kittens. It is her way of teaching discipline. :)