Cats became disinterested in cat tree and cat bed

KittyNic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats: a mom and her son - 10yrs and 9 yrs old, respectively. A few months ago, I bought them a cat bed which they loved. They would take turns sleeping in it and for a few weeks there was always a cat in it. Then they both abruptly stopped. We moved the bed to another location in our home thinking maybe they didn't like where it originally was but that didn't work. So, I took their old cat tree (that they also stopped using years ago) out of storage and they both immediately started using it again. They would take turns sitting at the very top.

You can probably see where I'm going with this: Yes, they both abruptly stopped using it. I even tried putting my female cat on the tree the other day to gauge her reaction and she sat there looking a bit uncomfortable, so I thought it was because I placed her there without permission (ha ha). But she sat on it for a while before jumping back down but she hasn't gone back up on her own. The male cat is the same way. It's like all of a sudden both items have fallen out of favor for some reason with them.

I'm thinking this is normal behavior because they've done this before with another cat bed they had years ago that has sat in the same corner collecting dust since the last time they used it (over 4 years ago). Is there something I can do to get them interested in these things again? I can't keep buying new cat trees and beds every time they get bored/tired of the old ones.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what specific reason is behind this but my cats do the same thing. Our cat tree was left abandoned for about 4 months, and then all of a sudden all three cats started sleeping/playing on it again. They do it with everything, even their toys. Morty and Po will take turns cuddling next to me at night. Morty at night, for example, will sleep by my side for a month straight and then decide he wants to sleep on the cat tree the next month. Then the next month or so he decides to sleep behind us on our pillows. I'm really not sure why they do this, but I do think keeping their bed/tree in the same spot is probably for the best.

You could try sprinkling some cat nip on the tree if your cats respond to that. If they like playing with string toys that's an easy way to get them up in the tree as well. A lot of cats aren't big fans of cat beds so I'm not sure if I have a solution for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyNic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Beholder! This makes me feel much better about it. I was starting to think I have some really, really unique cats. lol

My cats also do that sleeping thing too! Our male, Cyrus, will sleep at the foot of my bed for weeks/months at a time and his mom, Sandy, will sleep near my head, then at some point she'll start sleeping at the foot of the bed and Cyrus will start sleeping on the other end of the foot of the bed until their routine changes again months later. I guess cats just like a "change of scenery" every now and then both with sleeping and play/relaxing time.

I'll take your advice about leaving their cat tree and even the cat bed where they are without moving them around or putting them in storage. At least the cats will know where they are when they feel like using them again.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are indeed pretty weird lol. Hopefully someone else can chime in with any other/better advice. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have found nothing that was purposely bought for Feeby (17+ yo) that she didn't get tired of - if she ever liked it at all. So, now she gets cardboard boxes from deliveries, that she also tires of eventually. Paper bags also work for a period of time. The heavy-duty gift-wrapping paper is a big hit, until it is not, but can be replaced by another sheet and she is just fine and dandy with that - for a period of time.

Fabric strings or shoelaces are about the only toys she will even remotely consider (she loves other kinds of strings but can't have them because she wants to chew them to death). No chance ever of 'recycling' toys - if she ever liked one, once she is 'done' with it, there is no bringing it out at a later date.

Bottom line - if your cats are like mine - be creative and give them stuff that is not necessarily bought specifically for them.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats just seem to be fickle. I have a cat bed that they absolutely wouldn't use. So it shouldn't be a total waste, I used it as a foot warmer. All of a sudden, one of mine started using it. It's been there for over five years. I even caught her smurgling it. Go figure.

The suggestion of odd toys and things seems to be a good idea. One of my cats' favorite toys is just a piece of dowel rod.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just cats being cats :crazy: What interests them one day is ignored the next for no apparent reason. Just leave the beds and tree out. The cats may decide to use them again in the future.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to catnip, but you could also try moving them. That worked as to a cat bed once for me.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
theres probably just spots that became the favorites(coolest,warmest) for that point in time graycie constantly has a rotation of prefered spots to sleep or to climb ontop of(i think its more to do with current temps)example during summer heat her prefered spot is ontop of my tarantula cages. since the cool air from our ac hits in that area during winter its the office chair by our wall furnace.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
theres probably just spots that became the favorites(coolest,warmest) for that point in time graycie constantly has a rotation of prefered spots to sleep or to climb ontop of(i think its more to do with current temps)example during summer heat her prefered spot is ontop of my tarantula cages. since the cool air from our ac hits in that area during winter its the office chair by our wall furnace.
I think my cat similarly likes things based on the weather/time of year! During summer she tends to sleep at the foot of our bed, during very cold winter she likes a small warm cat bed we got her and also sits on objects near the baseboard heaters. She also likes various levels of her cat tree a couple times a month -- still haven't figured out what variables affect that decision. The only constant is on the sofa near us after she eats. :catrub:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my cat similarly likes things based on the weather/time of year! During summer she tends to sleep at the foot of our bed, during very cold winter she likes a small warm cat bed we got her and also sits on objects near the baseboard heaters. She also likes various levels of her cat tree a couple times a month -- still haven't figured out what variables affect that decision. The only constant is on the sofa near us after she eats. :catrub:
:lol:same with graycie i get to brush her then help groom her:biggrin:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cats want you to get a new tree. I think on their annual Santa list is “new tree new spot.” They are A). Interested in seeing what they can get the humans to do and B) They get bored. Did you ever watch a panther at the zoo? This requires all of us to be clever carpenters or continuously findi new ways of stimulating their ever curious, unpredictable brain pans. As I see it we are but humble servants to their need for fun.

cleoandsuki87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are the same way. When I first got them, I bought a couple of different cat beds. They were both obsessed with the one- to the point that they'd sometimes lay on top of each other in it, but refused to touch the other. I almost asked the foster that I got them from if she wanted it for her foster room. Thank goodness I didn't, because right now they're absolutely obsessed with that one. If your budget allows, you could always try buying 2 of each item and rotating them so that they seem "new." I wouldn't just keep buying new items over and over again. You could also try making items seem "new" by putting different blankets, towels, or even one of your t shirts on it. My cats love laying on stuff like that.

Other than that I wouldn't really worry about it. If they seem disinterested now, put it away and get it out again in a few weeks to see if they're interested again. In the meantime they'll find plenty of comfy spots for snoozing without them having to be "cat items." One of my cats is currently obsessed with sleeping on this blanket I had sort of haphazardly thrown onto my ottoman a few weeks ago. She spends forever kneading it and then settles in. Now I can't move it until she's over it!

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
River tends to cycle through favourite sleeping spots. I wouldn't worry, it's likely they'll cycle back to it when they get interested in it again. When I moved back into my current flat, River didn't use his cat bed for pretty much most of the first year back, whereas in the flat I lived prior he'd sleep there as his main sleeping spot. Now over the last few months he's decided to use it again as his main spot (along with my wardrobe).

KittyNic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have found nothing that was purposely bought for Feeby (17+ yo) that she didn't get tired of - if she ever liked it at all. So, now she gets cardboard boxes from deliveries, that she also tires of eventually. Paper bags also work for a period of time. The heavy-duty gift-wrapping paper is a big hit, until it is not, but can be replaced by another sheet and she is just fine and dandy with that - for a period of time.

Fabric strings or shoelaces are about the only toys she will even remotely consider (she loves other kinds of strings but can't have them because she wants to chew them to death). No chance ever of 'recycling' toys - if she ever liked one, once she is 'done' with it, there is no bringing it out at a later date.

Bottom line - if your cats are like mine - be creative and give them stuff that is not necessarily bought specifically for them.
Thanks for your advice! Yes, they also have boxes and the occasional paper bag to play in as well. Maybe that's part of the "problem" is that they have so many things to relax inside of that they get bored with one and go to another after a while. As I type this I'm looking around and they have two boxes along with their cat tree and two cat beds. And of course, our human beds and recliners. Sounds like I may have spoiled them with choice! I plan to do what was advised early and leave it all where they are so they can eventually get back to enjoying them again. I'm just glad there's nothing wrong and that they're acting in a normal way towards these things.

KittyNic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, thank you all so much for helping me work through this mystery!! I just discovered this board the other day when I was researching what could be happening with my cats and I decided to take a chance and ask here. I'm glad I did! I feel SO much better now. I've been owned by cats my entire life and I'm just now realizing how finicky they can be! :winkcat:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote leave the bed & the tree where they are. I would try the catnip. I would give your cats a second bed & if you can afford it a second cat tree by a window or a window bed. In the meantime maybe try giving them an empty box?

Cats like to rotate what they use & often hate to share. My cat is an only child and he has two beds. One on my bed & one on the top shelf of my closet. I take his bed from my bed to Nana’s house when we visit. Inevitably some other cat is hogging his bed and he hogs one of their sleep spots. Cats love to steal from each other, no idea why! They also love to shake things up. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have two beds, you could try rotating them. When they get bored with one, put it away and bring out the other. When they're bored with that one, bring out the first one again. I do that with Neko-chan toys. She gets tired of the same old thing all the time, and I can't afford new toys every month.