Cats, bearded dragon and.........rats?

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I currently have 2 cats (2 and not quite a year) and a bearded dragon (5). I want to get rats also but I'm worried my cats would attack them. When I have my dragon out they only want to sniff him and watch him. They may occasionally try to lick him. I feel like this is a good sign that with supervision they could be around other small animals. Any advice?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure you could teach a cat not to mess with a rat. Only a big enough rat could do that...

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd advise you simply keep them apart, preferably with a door in between and secure cages. You cannot train instinct like prey drive out of an animal. My first cat decided mice were a meal when she was around 15, after completely ignoring them for years. Safe separation means none of your animals are at risk. There really is no "pro" to letting them interact, that's a completely human selfish desire and it's extremely dangerous to all animals involved. A cat scratch or bite can often brings infection and death for other animals, that's why wildlife rehab places have little hope when a bird or squirrel is caught by a cat even when it's unhurt. Even letting them lick your bearded dragon is a disease vector risk I absolutely would not take. I have/had dogs, cats, snakes, lizards, ferrets, rodents and very few of these animals ever come in contact with each other.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had rats and cats under the same roof before.

Just keep the rats in their cages away from the cats and if you want to let the rats out for play time, do so in a bedroom with the door closed (so that the cats can't get in). I can't encourage allowing them to interact with each other because rats can be unpredictable sometimes and strike with a deadly bite that could and will draw blood. I have experienced this which is why I'm tell you. Just be careful. Reading body language is always important.

But this can also be in the reverse where the cat is the one harming the rat. So, all in all, don't allow it.