Cat's Bad Breath

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's the best product out there for cat's bad breath aside from brushing their teeth?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many water additives that help. i look for one that says tasteless and has oxygenpower infused in it. The one I am using right now is called Fresh Breathe oral care, and I got it on amazon. It says it fights tartar and promotes healthy gums. I have used these products for years and have always had good luck with dental exams. Only one cat out of six had to have a tooth pulled and that was broken. just make sure it is for cats and it is tasteless. I have had people say they are worthless, but I have had very good luck. before I started using it the vet said my cats were starting to get a buildup. The next exam a year later brought good results, and he said they looked much better!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bad breath can be caused by many things, it could just be due to the food or it could mean your Cat needs their teeth cleaned. There are other things that can cause bad breath such as throat or mouth Cancer or Stomatitis, but you'd have to bring your Cat to the Vet to find out for sure. If it doesn't always smell bad then it's probably just from food, but if it's constant you may want to have your Cat's mouth looked at.

Personally I haven't had any experience with water additives, and I don't really know of anything else available commercially that caters to oral health aside from dental treats but they get mixed reviews.

But in any case try asking your Vet and see if they have any suggestions.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the best product out there for cat's bad breath aside from brushing their teeth?
A vet visit.

Bad breath in cats can be benign as the food* but it could point to major oral problems developing. Some of them may happen below the gum line so you may need to spring for a kitty dental under anesthesia.

*I've fed Krista some really smelly slop and her breath still doesn't smell afterwards. Must be something about the way they lick the insides of their teeth and groom. When Krista did have really bad breath, that was resorptive lesions. Her body was eating her own teeth. Several had to be extracted.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat's breath isn't going to smell minty fresh and pleasant no matter the dental care :dunno: A vet visit is a good idea to address any dental issue. Regular home dental care will keep the teeth clean and healthy and minimize odor causing bacteria but a cat's breath is always going to have some smell which some people may find unpleasant.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other posters have excellent suggestions, the most important being a vet visit, 10009891 10009891 . Another brand of liquid dental additive is TropiClean, available at most of the usual places people buy products for cats such as Petco. And the dental treats may help a bit as well. We like Drs. Foster & Smith's Daily Dental Treats from www.drsfostersmith.com but others that are readily available include Greenies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are many water additives that help. i look for one that says tasteless and has oxygenpower infused in it. The one I am using right now is called Fresh Breathe oral care, and I got it on amazon. It says it fights tartar and promotes healthy gums. I have used these products for years and have always had good luck with dental exams. Only one cat out of six had to have a tooth pulled and that was broken. just make sure it is for cats and it is tasteless. I have had people say they are worthless, but I have had very good luck. before I started using it the vet said my cats were starting to get a buildup. The next exam a year later brought good results, and he said they looked much better!
Thanks

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A dental cleaning! Fresh breath/brushing means nothing when teeth might be rotting and gums infected.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use these water additives in fountains? My cat won't drink out a regular bowl. She will only drink out of the fountain, tap, or toilet. (luckily no issues with the toilet as long as she has a fountain)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use these water additives in fountains? My cat won't drink out a regular bowl. She will only drink out of the fountain, tap, or toilet. (luckily no issues with the toilet as long as she has a fountain)
Not recommended. I tried it in our fountain and it wasn't great. Maybe you can try using the gel form instead?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not recommended. I tried it in our fountain and it wasn't great. Maybe you can try using the gel form instead?
That's kinda what I thought too. Lydia luckily doesn't have any dental issues etc right now but I would still like to start being a little more proactive that I have been. A gel might work :)

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought my cat had a bad breath from the food but it turned out he had tooth resorption and had to have some extractions. So I suggest you start with the vet and have his teeth checked.

Marts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After a visit to the vet with Bruce and his bad breath the vet recommended Logic Oral Hygiene Gel, my cats now love getting Thier daily dental treatment. I get mine from either Amazon or vetmedic as it was cheaper than getting from the vet.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has always had stinky breath even right after dental cleaning and extractions. I could never get her to drink water additives. I bought Maxi-Guard spray from the vet that she hates but it does seem to help when I can actually spray it in her mouth. I think the spray is sold online.