Cats avoiding certain foods after vomiting

Astrobastro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are curious to know if any cat owners have experienced their cats going off food after a throwing up incidence. For context, our cat recently threw up a toy he had acidentally swallowed (we took him to the vet and all clear and recovering). However, he now wont eat the kibble he used to eat. We have tried adding other foods to his food (tin food, boiled chicken, other dry foods) all of which he eats, but he just eats around the kibble he used to have regularly. Do cats avoid foods that they maybe threw up, as like a psychological thing? Anyone else with similar experiences?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
It could be purely coincidental, possibly where the kibble manufacturer changed their recipe?
But my guess is that when he threw up the toy, the "results" might have tasted like that kibble.

Can you try a different brand kibble? By the way, do you feed canned food regularly - he might like it better nowadays?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they do. I once gave one of my girls some temptations as a treat. That night and the next day she threw up a couple times. When she was feeling better I again offered her a Temptation treat. She looked at it, gagged and turned away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Astrobastro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
It could be purely coincidental, possibly where the kibble manufacturer changed their recipe?
But my guess is that when he threw up the toy, the "results" might have tasted like that kibble.

Can you try a different brand kibble? By the way, do you feed canned food regularly - he might like it better nowadays?

Astrobastro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we have been feeding him wet food (pate and also baby food). He seems to respond to those type of texture. However, he’s been avoiding water - any water mixed into food, he will refuse to drink. He normally drinks water on his own before throwing up incident.

Astrobastro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have not tried broth or tuna juice. Great idea! Will definitely try that

Astrobastro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things?
Thank you for checking in. We tried low sodium chicken broth and he still refuses to drink it. He's not taking any form of fluid and refuses to drink. The only thing he’s ok with is his wet food and baby food. I’m not sure what’s going on at this point. But we managed to get an ultrasound appointment in a couple of days as suggested by our vet as next step.

He has been kneading and groom a lot more than usual which we thought was quite odd. Not sure if that’s a sign of underlying illness or pain. His energy level is better but still a lot lower than his usual self.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going through this right now with Amelia. She doesn't usually go off a food if she just gacks it up once (in fact, she'll immediately re-ingest it if given the chance). But she was quite ill for the last week with a lot of gagging and nausea, and now she won't eat any wet food (sometimes she'd actually gag and turn away when I offered it; even canned salmon was refused). Kibble is all she wants, and for now I'm just giving in and letting her have it. Hopefully she'll be more open to wet food when the memory of her illness isn't so fresh.

I don't really have any advice that you haven't already seen, just posting to say you're not alone. Here's to hoping that both of our cats eventually are willing to eat their old foods!

Astrobastro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going through this right now with Amelia. She doesn't usually go off a food if she just gacks it up once (in fact, she'll immediately re-ingest it if given the chance). But she was quite ill for the last week with a lot of gagging and nausea, and now she won't eat any wet food (sometimes she'd actually gag and turn away when I offered it; even canned salmon was refused). Kibble is all she wants, and for now I'm just giving in and letting her have it. Hopefully she'll be more open to wet food when the memory of her illness isn't so fresh.

I don't really have any advice that you haven't already seen, just posting to say you're not alone. Here's to hoping that both of our cats eventually are willing to eat their old foods!
We recently switch his kibble and he’s been taking that one over the one he used to eat up until the threw up episode. I do feel that the memory of

I hope she feels better soon! And thank you for sharing your story. We recently tried mixing another brand of kibble with the old one and he’s now eating it. Hopefully Amelia will bounce back as well!

Astrobastro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of your advice in this forum. An update from Astro. We took him for an ultrasound today and everything came back normal. There’s a few inflammations which the vet suggested that it’s part of his healing process to fight what came through his thew up episode. His blood test also came out good. He’s now drinking water! And eating kibbles and wet food.