Cats and Xanax?

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone.. Just wondering if Xanax is safe to give to cats? Everything I've read says yes but I would like a few more opinions.
It's for Cali and Twig for their aggression towards Serenity. Twig is 12 and Cali is 5. They both weigh 13 pounds. Sorry so brief but I'm running late for work. Thanks for your input!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never, ever give a cat meds that aren't prescribed by a reliable vet.
I don't know that Xanax is available in a feline-friendly form, and you simply can't give a cat a med intended for a human.
Please talk to your vet about it before you do anything.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging that you have been on the board with so many posts, are you asking more of is it safe(if my vet gave it) as opposed to the I have some of my own rx on hand and want to give it. I personally have no experience medicating a cat with any drug like this but am thinking of it for 1 of my cats.

I would just get bloodwork and check it every so often for changes. Have heard of cats doing really good on some meds to point it really changed the lives of the family.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet prescribed it, it should be fine as long as you follow the instructions. If you are thinking about medicating them yourself...don't. Talk to your vet and see what options are out there. My one girl, Monster, needs valium every other day. It's to control seizures but it also mellows her out for her nightly Pheno pill...that may be an option for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies.. Yes the vet did prescribe it, I wouldn't ever think of trying to medicate my cats myself, I am to much of a worrywart and can't even medicate them without looking up all the information I can online about the medicine.. (and asking you all of course
) Well, here goes... Day 1.. Hopefully this will go well...I'm still very nervous...

tina23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

If your vet prescribed it, it should be fine as long as you follow the instructions. If you are thinking about medicating them yourself...don't. Talk to your vet and see what options are out there. My one girl, Monster, needs valium every other day. It's to control seizures but it also mellows her out for her nightly Pheno pill...that may be an option for you.
Hi Calico2222 -
was wondering why you give monster pheno and how she/he does on it? My vet has mentioned pheno or amitriptyline for my Tucker's hyperesthesia. Like jugen - I'm trying to get as much info and opinions on both before I do anything. The idea of medicating him with either really scares me but he's getting worse and I don't think I have much of a choice anymore.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am trying to decide the same thing myself. My vet told me the one concern with giving my aggressive cat Xanax is he may not inhibit his bite.

I am going to hold off a few more days as my situation has only been going a week and I am hoping it will go back to normal but if it doesn't I will do it. The other thing he suggested was a calming liquid. Their is something homeopathic that can be give in a liquid form in their water or directly in a syringe. Good luck I know it is exhausting living with aggressive kitties who you know can be so sweet.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, day one went by without really any issues. They did have issues with their feet being a little wobbly but really other then that, they were fine. Slept mostly and ate ALOT...Didn't know that would be a side effect, that's ok though I'll just monitor their eating and weight.
Today Cali is a bit over stimulated for some reason. She's running after Neffie who she NEVER chases and trying to get her to play..and she came in here and nipped me just a second ago.. No big deal, right after she did it, she flipped on her side and wanted to be petted. So I have a few things to monitor, and when the meds are in their systems(about two weeks they said), we'll try reintroducing Serenity, very slowly.......

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi jargon just wondering how Xanax and kitties bare going. I am thinking this may be my next step so would love some input. Thanks Erin

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarciFinn

Hi jargon just wondering how Xanax and kitties bare going. I am thinking this may be my next step so would love some input. Thanks Erin
Well Yesterday I only gave them one Xanax and they acted like they were completely wasted... I know it takes time to get corrected into their systems but I am a touch concerned about this behavior and will be monitoring it. they are not allowed on the hardwoods until they are a little more "stable" so to speak, I don't want them to get hurt trying to jump off the bed onto the hardwood floor, the other rooms are fine for them because they are carpeted and the beds are lower..They sleep alot and when they are awake, they eat like there's no tomorrow..So I have a few issues to monitor, but over all they seem less aggressive, so that's a bonus, I will be taking them back to the vets for a check up in the next week, so that I know everything is going the way it should be..And I will be talking to him about all the things I've seen so far. So I'll keep you updated as I go..

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you try giving your cats half the dosage till they get used to the drug being in their system?
Maybe that will be sufficient enough till their bodies start building up a tolerance....

I'm thinking of maybe starting Geronimo on something similar so he quits harassing poor Cassidy all the time, so I'm interested in how the Xanax works for your cats.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jugen for responding both in my post and yours please keep me updated. Finny has only been aggressive about ten days and seems to be calming down a little. In time it may get better but as I have to go out of town in 2 1/2 weeks for work and want the aggression to start before I have to lock my girl in the room for five days.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok here's todays(day 2) results. Cali and Twig ended up getting two pills because they decided fighting each other was something new and fun

Twig saw Serenity, couldn't get to her and took it out on Cali..Not good, but no blood, got them apart in time. Still a vets visit is in order this week...

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday passed with no issues. But Twig has the runs now so yet another med for that poor boy..
I've decided that 1 and a half pills are MORE then enough for them. I will be taking them to the vets next week since the couldn't do it this week for a check up. Then in 2-3 weeks if this doesn't work I'll be weaning them off it and looking for another solution..

goober

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi jugen-can you give the dosaage that your cat is receiving? The vet prescribed xanax for an anxiety disorder in my 17yr.  old Maine coon and I'm afraid 1mg may be too much. Haven't given it to her yet.

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would try Bach's Rescue Remedy and Mimulus. Go to their website and call them (free), tell then your problem, they will tell you what formula's youu need. These are essenses made from flowers - all natural. If you watch My Cat From Hell, you may have heard Jackson Galaxy mention using essenses. You just add 2-4 drops to the cats water dish. Make sure you get the Rescue Remedy FOR PETS, NOT HUMANS! There is alcohol in the human version for preservation reasons. I just adopted a feral Burmese, and have ordered the above to help her with the stress of her new environment.

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1 mg of Xanax for a cat? What is it, a tiger? This is a habit-forming drug used for anxiety attacks in humans. Most doctors start humans on .25 mg (1/4 mg). I would definitely question the dosage. I have PTSD and Panic/Anxiety disorder, and my doctor has me on 1 mg doses 4 times a day. I weigh 150 lbs (not proud of that by the way), so 1 mg for a 12 lb +/- cat sounds a bit scary to me. If you wish to check with a doctor about Xanax, psychiatrists are your best choice as these are the doctors who prescribe it the most.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I, a human being, weighing almost 250lbs takes .25mg of Xanex and it knocks me out.  .25mg is a very very small dose for a human and I even sometimes cut it in half.

I don't know what dose you want to use with your kitties but if a very small dose knocks me out and makes me feel wierd, my God, it will do major damage to your kitty.

Don't ever give your cat medicine that isn't given to you by your vet.  If they are having aggression issues, take them to the vet and him/her can assist you on the situation

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of a vet giving Xanax! Wow! I have heard of Prozac for cats but never Xanax.