Cats and worms

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by issues? I know you need the right kind of dewormer for the kind of worms your cat has, and also that it can take more then one round of dewormer sometimes to get rid of all the worms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens, semi-kittens now ( about 4 months) who I brought inside on my porch about 3 weeks ago and when I took them to the vet to get shots they said they have round worms (took stool sample) They were given med and now need a second booster for the worms..but I’m worried about all my indoor cats now when I’m told they don’t have the worms any more. It was impossible to determine which cats stool sample they checked since they’re in the same room using the same litter box. Also worried that one might have worms and the other one doesn’t. So when I bring in another stool sample it might show it’s clear when one cat might still have them. I might sound a little confusing when trying to explain.
My other cats were dewormed when they were a lot younger (6 weeks) and have been kept inside ever since. I’ve been reading up on deworming etc. and it sounds like all cats need to be dewormed every few months. I have 10 other cats.....does anyone else deworm their indoor cats?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, so the best idea would be to feed them and then leave each kitten in a separate room, or if you have one use a large dog crate, with a litter box just until they poop, so you know for sure which poop came from which cat and you can bag it and tag it. If the kittens share litter boxes with your other cats and you scoop the litter boxes multiple times a day so the poop isn't sitting in there the odds are fairly slim that the others got worms from the kittens.

If you live somewhere that mice and/or bugs get into your house often then yes it's a good idea to deworm all the cats at least once or twice a year just as a preventative.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Unfortunately I don’t have a spare room But I was thinking a lot of times cats will use the litter box after they eat. So I was going to clean out their litter box completely and sit with them after they eat, that way I can see when they go. I sit with them several times during the day anyway so we’ll sit this works...
I just feel a little paranoid now that I know they have worms. I clean the litter several times during the day and make sure I don’t touch my other cats until I wash my hands first. They got their second booster for deworming today and next week they have an appointment to get their second distemper shot. I’ll need to bring a stool sample at that time.