Cats and water

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. They won't and absolutely refuse to use the shelters I have for them so I guess I can use those for their food, I've had those shelters out for 3 months and they literally still run from them like it's the evil monster or something. Ideas on warming up before taking out? Mom won't let me heat upstairs and I have nothing downstairs to heat up. Ugh always something because of Mom

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at Amazon most have only a one or two hour charge before needing recharging again. The others need to be boiled and back to the Mom issue on that. Regardless of dry or wet I do like to leave water out always. It at least keeps the raccoons and possums happy and they don't bother the cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a Hothands brand of warmer that just requires a good shake to activate, and has hours of heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sall223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About how much wet food to feed, you'll get many different answers to that question. Some say all wet, others will disagree. I, personally, feed my Ruby 90% wet food, with a bit of kibble a day as a treat.

You'll have to figure out calories, though, to ensure she's both getting enough, but not too many a day. Maybe this TCS article will help: How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – Cat Articles

Back to your original question of how to know if your cat is drinking enough water, I think as long as the pee clumps in the litter box are normal, all is good. As I mentioned upthread, canned food has a high water percentage, so the more wet food a cat eats, the less water they'll probably drink from a bowl.
Do you feed one meal per day or more than that? How much wet food exactly? (trying to figure out how much to buy)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you feed one meal per day or more than that? How much wet food exactly? (trying to figure out how much to buy)
Ruby has a super sensitive stomach and if she goes too long between meals, she'll end up vomiting. So for that reason, I split her wet food up into several small meals throughout the day. (I'm home all day, most days)

How much to feed depends on the cat's size and activity level. You want to feed enough that they maintain a healthy weight and do not become overweight or underweight.

Each can of food should state the number of calories on the label. And usually the company that makes the food will having feeding guides on their website.

Since you won't know if she likes the food until you try it, it may be a good idea to just buy a couple cans first, then stock up once you know she'll eat it.

BTW it's recommended to change a cat's diet slowly, to prevent digestive issues. Here's a TCS article with more info: Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade) | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sall223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Research the different fountains and see which one more closely mimicks a running faucet. Some cats love one that is like a stream running while others prefer a water stream that drops from an opening into a basin below. There are some that 'bubble' up from below too. If you find the right one your cat will definitely be enticed and drink more.
I’ve tried a few different kinds and, like I said, she may drink out of it more than I realize but won’t know unless I set up a camera.