Cats and selling our house

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! We are currently renovating our house, to put it on the market in a month or two. Our 2 girls, Winky and Dobby are very friendly, and wouldn't hide from any visitors...they would probably be underfoot trying to be pet the whole time. We got them when they were 3 years old, and they took to our home very quickly. They are now 10, and I hate to confuse them, but am thinking that I may want to bring them to my father in law's apartment (pets are allowed), once we put it on the market, and until we sell. That way, we would avoid having to pack them up every time there is a showing..,which I think would be more stressful to them, than being in a new place for a while. We would be able to visit every day...id probably stop by every morning to feed them, and every evening to clean the litter, and feed again.

Anyone have experience with this? I can't leave them in the house, as one is an escape artist, and I can't expect visitors to prevent her escape when they're trying to see the yard and such. Keeping them in a kennel would be torture for them... It's the best solution I can think of..anyone have other ideas? Experiences to share?

Thanks!
Erin

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've probably come up with the best solution. I looked at a house once that had a note on the door asking people to please not let their cat out as they loved her very much. When I found the cat, it was obvious she was well loved. She was a sweetie, and I wanted to take her home myself.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. In fact renovating the house can itself cause stress to the cats, even if they stay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They've been through the worst of the renovations (when we had to shut them in a room all day for 2 weeks as workers tore down and rebuilt 2 rooms). Now it's just painting in half the rooms, and some carpeting in one room. They did okay, and we were sure to give them extra attention when we got home. But I do think that it might be easier on them, as well as us, to bring them to my FILs house until the house is sold. They would actually love the attention of all these people coming over...they run to the door whenever anyone comes, and act just like happy puppies to see people. But it would not be a selling point, nor would people appreciate having to watch that they didn't get outside. The alternative would be to shut them in a room...but that would not be pleasant for them. I think they'll be happiest with my FIL, who likes them, and who will be moving in with us when we move, anyway.

Thanks!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
They've been through the worst of the renovations (when we had to shut them in a room all day for 2 weeks as workers tore down and rebuilt 2 rooms). Now it's just painting in half the rooms, and some carpeting in one room. They did okay, and we were sure to give them extra attention when we got home. But I do think that it might be easier on them, as well as us, to bring them to my FILs house until the house is sold. They would actually love the attention of all these people coming over...they run to the door whenever anyone comes, and act just like happy puppies to see people. But it would not be a selling point, nor would people appreciate having to watch that they didn't get outside. The alternative would be to shut them in a room...but that would not be pleasant for them. I think they'll be happiest with my FIL, who likes them, and who will be moving in with us when we move, anyway.

Thanks!
That sounds like a good solution.  They can get used to being around your FIL and you can see them every day.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think sending them to your FIL's for the time being is the best solution.  That made me very nervous when it was time to sell our last place.  So even just the peace of mind for you might make it worth it! 

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I once cat sit two cats while their owners were away. I went twice daily at specific times as one was diabetic and needed shots. At the same time, they were selling their house. So they had the realtor in a few times and do you think they cared about keeping the cats in? I got a phone call from the owner who had been called by his neighbour because one the cats was in the yard. The owner had the nerve to question me about letting them out! The real estate agent was only concerned about one thing - that the house looked super pretty all the time. To her the cats were a big blight on the house and anything pet related was to be hidden. I guess she was quite happy to let them outside so they wouldn't be visible during the showing. :rolleyes:

I think you've got the best solution with them staying at your FIL's. They'll be safe and cared for there.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know a realtor who said when she showed houses there would often be a lump under the covers on the bed. :lol3:

I think you have solved your own problem. I could never rest easy with strangers going in and out not paying attention to the cats. :nod:

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again! Well...our house-selling plans stalled. My father in law passed away, and that was a big blow to us all. The day after his funeral, I went back to work, and we got sidetracked from the house stuff. So we recently sat down and decided that we are still going to move. When we do put our house on the market, hopefully in a few months, here is our plan. We will require prior nights' notice of a showing. If it's a day that we are home, we will just grab the cats and go for a car ride. If it's a day we're not home, we're going to set them up together in a borrowed large-dog cage...with a small litter box, water, and comfort blankets. (between my husband and my work schedules, they could be in there up to 7 hours, though). Not entirely sure what we'll do during an open house.

We are open to any suggestions for changes to the above...or any other ideas you have. We do not have any close-by relatives who can take them, temporarily. Nor would I feel comfortable asking someone to take care of them.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If it's a day that we are home, we will just grab the cats and go for a car ride.
That's what I did when we were selling. I also used to put her litterbox in a big black trash bag and stash it in an out of the way place in the basement. I would also pack up any evidence of her. Some people just don't like cats and don't want to buy a house that had cats in it because of fur, "odors", etc.

Does your vet board or anything like that? My vet will board cats when people are on vacation and would have taken her for the day.

I'm sorry about your FIL. :crossfingers:

Good luck with selling! It's always such a stressful time.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you brought up this problem which many of us have or will have to encounter. But first let me say how deeply sorry I am about the passing of your father-in-law. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs:

Regarding the cats and sale of your house I can only speak from my own experiences. The first time we put our condo on the market I had signs on all the patio doors that led to a balcony. The signs were large and very visible. However, when we came home one time I found one of our cats on the balcony with the patio door closed so even if he wanted to come back in he could not. Our cats are indoor only and that made me livid. :fuming: The second time we put our home on the market I would not leave the house. Realtors don't like this but I didn't care, my cats came first. We lived near a busy road and the thought of something happening to them took precedence. The only problem I encountered was from prospective buyers who were either allergic to cats or didn't particularly like cats. I distinctly remember one woman not wanting to step foot in our house because she wasn't overly fond of cats. :rolleyes:

My husband said we will probably stay in our present home until we meet our maker, lol. I wouldn't mind moving since our kids are grown and out of the house but in all probability he's probably right. :wink: On the other hand, if we did move I would do everything in my power to not put Carleton in jeopardy. I would either remain in the house with him or as you suggested require prior notice and take him for a car ride. The only problem I see with this is that realtors frequently stop by unannounced and/or do not adhere to the appointment time. Prospective buyers will drive by the house and decide not to keep the appt., have another conflict or show up hours after the appt. time. I will try to think of some other possible solutions but I empathize with your dilemma and wish you the best of luck.

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, both!

For the litter pans, we are going to temporarily reduce to one (with LOTS of cleaning!) once the house is on the market. I got a nice looking cabinet that will fit perfectly where the pans are now, and will easily fit one inside. We'll have the doors open, but when someone is coming to look at the house, we'll close that door. We have no access to the basement from the house...we have to walk outside, down the stairs and around the side, so there is no place to "hide" a litter pan.

I'm not too concerned for the times we are home when people want to see the house...it's the times when no one is home. What do you think of the large dog cage solution? I don't love it, but they hate other cats so much, that kitty day care, or staying at the vets, would probably stress them out even more. The cage is large and tall. I'm planning on putting the litter pan in a sideways milk crate, and there will be room on top for a cat to sit there. I'm trying to make it a little multi-level inside, to give them someplace to move. I'm working hard to finish the room painting, and getting rid of 19 years of junk, but have to wait until my school year is done (Wednesday). Then I'm going to work extra hard. We would love to get it on the market by the end of July. That would give me all of August, when I'm not working, and don't have to worry about them. I go back to work after Labor Day. So with some hard work, and a bit of luck...we may not even need the dog crate solution.